SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley two wheel brakes in 1909
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: July 08, 2009 04:40AM

I just returned home from Estes Park, Colorado with our Mountain Wagon. For the Centennial celebration of the Stanley Hotel, we first went down to the Loveland RR station, and the next trip down was to Longmont where there used to be a railroad station. Both towns had long steep grades to decend down on and our Mt. Wagon's brakes were smoking terribly on the down hills. Stopping to cool them off helped. Many of our Stanleys had problems with their Stanleys hot brakes on the hills. How did the Stanley two wheel brakes slow the cars down in 1909 when the Stanley hotel was first opened? Don't tell me that they all dragged logs behind them because with the daily traffic, soon all of the logs would have been down at the railroad stations. Did they also use water cooled brakes back then too?

Re: Stanley two wheel brakes in 1909
Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: July 08, 2009 11:36AM

Reverse pedal,,,no water that i know of,,there are threads on this,if someone got a better idea of finding them,,oh yes,,,No juce brakes,,they dont do so good when the spokes are smokin,,,be back after breakfast,,maybee,,Ben

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.