SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Early Stanley for sale,,
Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: September 09, 2009 03:41AM

I have put my early Stanley in Bonhams auction ,, for Sept 26 at Brookline,Will try to post details over here tomorrow if i can ,,Yes,,,,it is very early, ,Ben

Re: Early Stanley for sale,,
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: September 11, 2009 03:28PM

Ben it looks great.
I hope this link works.
Larz Anderson Auto Museum, Brookline, Massachusetts
Lot No: 447•
The Earliest Known Stanley Steamer
1901 Stanley Steam Runabout
Engine no. 48

[www.bonhams.com]

Rolly

Date: September 14, 2009 06:15PM

These comments Re Bonhams catalogue description,, The early Stanley car withth the single curved front is shown here,,photo w/3 people,,,L--R Charles Stickney,,[son of Henry R Stickney,][father of my friend Fred Stickney],,,The couple in the Locomobile,,are Mr & Mrs Henry R Stickney,,maker of the famous Stickney Compound,,boat [ launch] engine,,It is said that it was HIS suggestion to put the Stanley engine ON the axle without the chain,,In his shop in Portland Maine he built corn canning machinery,,corn cooked by steam,,He also sold Locomobile and Stanley cars,from the early days,The car shown is very early,,and appears to have front passengers facing rearward,,[vis-a-vis]],seat rail confirms this,,The other photo is thought to be Mrs,Pope's driver,[Columbia Bicycle][Pope Hartford],who later drove for Mrs Stanley,,Ben

Date: September 14, 2009 06:50PM

As superheat was added,a positive displacement pump was necessary, Note the layout of the OIL PUMP,,there are 2 ratchet wheels for a double reduction,,no provision for variable delivery,,AND,,, that its necessary to re/cock the pump at every water stop,,,by means of puting a string,/w handles/ around the ratchet pulley,,and playing yo-yo,,to rewind it,,there IS a spot where the ratchet disinguages to do this,,,If by chance you forget,,there is a fail/safe that allows the gear to freewheel rather than bending the pump drive,,tho the engine may suffer,,Note also the Crosby guages are used ,,The water and fuel pumps are vertical and are mounted on the body frame and not the engine,,Hope these details are helpful,,,Ben

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.