SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley Model 607 front sear back panels
Posted by: Peter Turvey (IP Logged)
Date: December 13, 2009 01:27PM

Anyone any idea what wood the panels behind the front seat of a Model 607 stanley might be mde of? Its some sort of very light coloured hardwood, perhaps Maple, but am not 100% sure.

See link to photos of panels from our car , #7644.

[www.flickr.com]

I need to make up some replacements before the car goes to the coach trimmer in April.

Thanks
Peter Turvey
Marlborough UK

Re: Stanley Model 607 front sear back panels
Posted by: allen (IP Logged)
Date: December 20, 2009 04:20PM

Peter, I believe it to be northern ash. Allen

Posted by: ianc (IP Logged)
Date: February 24, 2010 09:55PM

It will almost certainly be ash. You can tell fairly easily: if you sand a small spot and wet it maple will be light yellow to golden, while ash will be white. There are darker varieties of ash, but I don't think they would have been used for something hidden, as they were (and are) valued for furniture and flooring.

Ian Cameron, 1919 Four Seat Touring Stanley

Posted by: Peter Turvey (IP Logged)
Date: February 25, 2010 06:57PM

Thakns for your opinions - I set it as a challenge to our conservators at work, and they came up with yellow poplar or white spruce. They lose!

By the way, I have set up a facebook group to report on the car's progress at

[www.facebook.com]

Peter Turvey

Posted by: ianc (IP Logged)
Date: February 25, 2010 10:20PM

Well, maybe not, but I don't think Stanley would have used relatively soft woods for that application. But you can easily tell the difference between poplar or spruce and ash. Ash is much harder - you can stick an awl into poplar or spruce with very little effort. Ash or maple will be quite difficult.

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: February 27, 2010 05:53AM

Dear Peter, On our 1914 Stanley model 606 which is an original car, but 96 years old, it has a poplar type wood behind the backrest springs for spring support. Underneath the fuel tank, poplar is again used as a filler between the fuel tank and the water tank. These original boards are about 4 inches wide and no framing strength is required of them. Everywhere else on the car where strength is requred, ash was used.

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: February 27, 2010 03:08PM

I wish to add. These wood pieces are hidden out of sight.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.