SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Advert in Stanley Museum Quarterly
Posted by: 20hpStanley (IP Logged)
Date: January 17, 2010 01:38AM

I have just received my Stanley Museum Quarterly. Excellent as always. I was staggered to see an advert advertising the NSCA steam car club in the UK; they state on their web site ‘The National Steam Car Association was formed in 2009 by a group of like-minded enthusiasts and disillusioned former members of the Steam Car Club of Great Britain. This stalwart group, who had only ever been interested in protecting 'the rights of the many from the selfish attitudes of the few’ I thought these were the people who ran off with The Steam Car Club of Great Britain’s funds!

Certainly the letters I received from these people, full of terrible statements about people who in my opinion have always done an excellent job, genuine enthusiasts who I have met and seen working for the steam car movement over many years.

I have continued my membership of The Steam Car Club of Great Britain and have continued receiving the magazine ‘The Steam Car’ including their latest magazine now in full color and is absolutely brilliant, I also view their excellent web site, my question is how can this small group be allowed to do this, are the rules in the UK different to here?

David.

Re: Advert in Stanley Museum Quarterly
Posted by: Kelly (IP Logged)
Date: January 17, 2010 03:00AM

I'm confused. I couldn't find the "disillusioned former members" or "selfish attitudes" text anywhere on the NSCA website. And your last sentence asks "are the rules in the UK different to here?" But I thought you were in the UK, driving the white Model R. In fact, it looks like the current "Contacts" page on the NSCA site lists you as the Chairman of the NSCA Company Board. Might there be 2 Stanley guys with the same name?

Posted by: barry herbert (IP Logged)
Date: January 17, 2010 11:05AM

As one of two directors of The Steam Car Club of Great Britain LIMITED (the old Limited club) I also spotted the phrase mentioned by 20hpStanley on the NSCA website.

I immediately e-mailed Sally Ann Dodd of the NSCA and asked her to remove it as it just was not true as is a lot of their past statements.

To be fair to Sally she did immediately remove it and replace it with the statement that is now at the top of the NSCA "Announcements" page

Date: January 17, 2010 02:23PM

OK, I'm understanding part of it. The NSCA appears to have 2 separate websites, neither of which references the other.

[www.steamcarassociation.org.uk]
[www.steamcars.org.uk]

The second site, on the "Who are we" page, contains the "disillusioned/selfish" text quoted in the first post, with a date stamp of Nov. 19, 2009. I've only ever looked at the first site since the National Steam Car Association Ltd corporation was created.

Posted by: barry herbert (IP Logged)
Date: January 18, 2010 05:32PM

Kelly,

You are correct. The NSCA (known as the G15 group) do have 2 separate websites, neither of which references the other.

The site "www.steamcars.org.uk" is a defunct site shut down by them in December, 2009 for some reason.

Suffice to say that "The Steam Car Club of Great Britain" is well and truly up and running, continuing to produce a quarterly magazine. This is eagerly awaited by its members and the club's website [www.steamcar.net] becomes better and better by the day under the watchful eye of Jeff Theobald.

Magazine number 46, dated January, 2010, has just come off the press and has been posted to members.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2010 10:40PM by barry herbert.

Date: January 19, 2010 04:02AM

Thanks Barry. And the magazine is terrific - I recently received my copy and was delighted as usual. In fact I've enjoyed the entire run of The Steam Car - many years of excellent technical sharing, and news of UK & Commonwealth (& a bit of US!) activity. Bravo Jeff!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.