SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Locomobile type engine with drive gear
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: January 31, 2010 01:26PM

Hi, my name is Blair Gagnon. I live in Monroe, Michigan and recently received a strange looking machine that I was informed was a Stanley Steamer steam engine. I was wondering if you might be able to provide me with more information on to the specific model or type of engine I have. It would also be nice to know how old it is and if it is worth anything

The engine is in excellent shape. Over the years it has been very well oiled. There is no rust anywhere. All the parts still move freely and it still runs. I hooked it up to an air compressor for a brief moment and it ran in forward and reverse without any problems. Attached to this e-mail I have include a picture I have taken of the engine. It would be great if you could provide me with any more information.
Thank You,
Blair Gagnon

Ok, it looks like a Locomobile engine to me, but if it was a Locomobile engine, the drive gear would instead be a chain sprocket. The Stanley engine would have long engine frame rods to attach it to the rear axle if it were a Stanley engine. I have seen this drive gear combination in the past. Please? What make of car was it driving? See the attached photo
SSsssteamer

Attachments: Locomobile type engine.JPG (92KB)  

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.