SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Next questions
Posted by: ianc (IP Logged)
Date: April 09, 2010 12:28AM

Here's my next question for all you good folks, and I think this one's not going to be easy. Attached (with luck) is a picture of my firebox. As far as I know, it's a modified Stanley. On the right you can see the duct for the forced air blower. The gun sits just to the left of it, and the duct is angled, so the air enters in a clockwise direction, and the fuel sprays into the air blast and is ignited by a spark. When I took the burner off,the circular plate you see sitting on top of the firebox was lying in the bottom. It's obviously meant to go in the hole in the middle - it will leave about 1" gap all around, and there are three matching weld spots on each piece. Now the questions. You can see a steel strap welded to the plate, sticking up. I can't figure out what it does. Were there two others, now gone, so it stood on the bottom, so the plate was lower than the hole? It can't point up when in place, or it would foul the boiler. Secondly, should the plate be welded level with the hole, or mounted above, or below? I assume there were straps holding it in place, but they've vanished. Any assistance......

Attachments: Upholstery5.jpg (175.1KB)  
Re: Next questions
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: April 09, 2010 01:00AM

I believe the round plate was mounted on standoff straps a few inches above the hole to deflect the burning vapor into a larger diameter. The straps most likely burned off with the heat.

Rolly

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.