SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Engine packing
Posted by: tlaferriere (IP Logged)
Date: April 09, 2010 10:22PM

I did a search here and didn't find anything on this.

I purchased packing and I would like to pack the valve and piston rods on my 735, as they are leaking enough steam to warrant the job. There are different thoughts on this and I would like to hear from you.

1. Should all old packing be removed? If so, blow it out under steam pressure? Technique?
2. Wrap a continuous line of packing or break it in "C"'s and alternate directions? If continuous, which direction?

Thanks in advance.

Tom Laferriere
1920 with 1916 Woods Dual Power Body
Smithfield, RI

Attachments: Typewriter Lot 11 & 12 009.jpg (147.8KB)  
Re: Engine packing
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: April 10, 2010 06:36AM

Only if you cannot get any new packing istalled because of the petrified old packing, then yes, back the packing glands nuts off and take the car for a short run to blow the old packing out. It is best to leave the old packing in if possible because it has seasoned well and it will hold it's gland adjustment longer. Once all new packing is installed, it is a pain in the butt to continuously keep taking up on the gland nut slack and also adding new packing. Vintage Steam products has the best packing available. Cut the packing into little dounuts with each one with their ends butting together opposite the last ring's installed. Tighten the gland nut only tight enough to restrict most leaking. Too tight reams the packing out and causes extra drag on the engine. Use a small 1/8" brass rod to press your packing in place. Using a steel packing rod can scratch the piston rods. Always set your gland wire locks after you are done. Your gland nuts will back off on their own if not locked.

Re: Engine packing
Posted by: tlaferriere (IP Logged)
Date: April 12, 2010 01:57PM

Excellent advice, thank you for taking the time to respond. My packing is from VSP.

Tom Laferriere
1920 with 1916 Woods Dual Power Body
Smithfield, RI

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.