SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
2-stroke conversion Youtube Video
Posted by: Stanleyguy101 (IP Logged)
Date: May 06, 2010 01:00AM

I was looking around on youtube and found this video showing how easy it was to convert a 2-stroke weed whacker. I'm sure many of you are experts on converting engines, but I didn't have any interest in using converted engines until seeing this video. Using a solenoid valve, a magnet, a battery, a reed switch, and a free weed whacker from the dump I could make an engine that could easily power a steam bike. By using multiple magnets and reed switch circuits could adjust the cutoff.

[www.youtube.com]

It does point out that solenoid may not last long, but you don't need any mechanical linkage for cutoff or valving.

For a car using a model t distributor you could use multiple cylinders and a battery you could use a spark advance to adjust the cutoff and the speed somewhat. I know it probably isn't that easy, but seems like a good solution to making a homemade steam vehicle

Also, this engine may not be self starting even with several cylinders, if it's like IC engines where you need to rotate the engine to cause the first solenoid to actuate and the system to start moving on its own and in a car a way to idle may be necessary.

What is everyone's thoughts on this.

Robert Hopkins

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2010 01:15AM by Stanleyguy101.

Re: 2-stroke conversion Youtube Video
Posted by: Brian McMorran (IP Logged)
Date: May 09, 2010 03:56PM

Hi Robert

You might be interested in another clip at [www.youtube.com]
This is a little project I tried running on steam. The valve consists of a sparkplug machined to take an inlet poppet valve from a Honda strimer. The valve is operated by a solenoid valve from a hydraulic valve.

Re: 2-stroke conversion Youtube Video
Posted by: Stanleyguy101 (IP Logged)
Date: May 17, 2010 04:21AM

Hi Brian,

I've seen the clip before a long time ago, but thanks for reminding me of it. It's a cool project do you have any idea of the rpms it may be going or can go?
How many solenoids have you gone through if any?

I also did a little research on solenoid valves and it could just be all the places online are specialty places, but to get an actual, good, steam rated solenoid valve for higher pressures can be expensive and have to be a smaller size. One of the more promising I found was called the Wattmizer, which could be mounted in a manifold and claims reliability and long cycle life, but have no idea of the price and would need to use a manifold for two reasons to let enough steam through and or as spares incase one failed.

Frankly if I do build my own bike, I have bought one though, and if I decide to attempt to use a solenoid valve to deliver the steam, I will use low cost low pressure air ones for testing purposes.

Robert

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.