SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Green Steam Engines
Posted by: Stanleyguy101 (IP Logged)
Date: May 26, 2010 04:04AM

THere is a company which is advocating a different way about building steam engines and claim models that range from fractions of hp to 50 hp.

[www.greensteamengine.com]

It appears that the engines are very space efficient as well, can fit inside a tube, and are light, which would seem ideal for something like a steam bike.

They also are cheap less then $150 for a 2 cylinder kit that makes 10hp
Does anyone have any opinions on these engines or experience?

-Robert Hopkins

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2010 02:34PM by Stanleyguy101.

Re: Green Steam Engines
Posted by: Marksteamnz (IP Logged)
Date: May 27, 2010 06:48AM

The claims which include three factories in China, 500hp, 24% efficency and being tested by the US Army are deranged or show a rich fantasy life.
The actual unit is badly designed with problems in the swivel joints, piston O ring sticking and lousy plans. I contract built one for a friend and wish I'd never seen the hideous monstrosity. If you google green steam my comments while building appear on a couple of sites. The you tube videos are closely monitored by the designer and nothing except drooling adulation by technically incompetent nitwits is allowed in the comments section.
Do not walk, RUN away from this disaster.
By the way if you go to Douglas Self's website (the museum of retrotech) you will see more in line engines very similar to the green steam than you can shake a stick at dating back to the 1800's
Cheers

Posted by: JW (IP Logged)
Date: May 27, 2010 03:04PM

Not new, not green, not likely.

If driven, it might make an interesting air pump for the aquarium,

...but why, ....support tropical fish in space?

my $.02 <smile>

JW

Posted by: Stanleyguy101 (IP Logged)
Date: May 27, 2010 09:09PM

Thanks for the information.
I'm not planning on building anything for a couple years, but this is the sort of criticism I wanted to see because on the website it doesn't go into much detail about rpms or anything and it does seem a little bit peculiarly cheap for a 10 hp engine.

Robert

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.