SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Chassis lubrication
Posted by: Kobus van Jaarsveld (IP Logged)
Date: December 30, 2001 02:53PM

<HTML>
My 735 A and the EX have no provision for lubricating the leaf spring retaining bolts and schackles. On the EX it is easy to remove the pins from the spring ends and apply some grease to them. But the 735 involves much more work. I have so far not lubricated these pionts at all and I feel I cannot just leave things as they are. What should I do?</HTML>

Re: Chassis lubrication
Posted by: David K Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: December 31, 2001 11:00AM

<HTML>I have removed the spring shackle pins for the front springs, drilled them and fitted modern grease fittings. The rear spring pins are rivited and I have not found a way to deal with them other than squirting cylinder oil on them every spring while getting the car ready for the season. It helps if you jack up the chassis to take the load off the springs when you try to oil them.</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Turvey (IP Logged)
Date: January 01, 2002 02:29PM

<HTML>Kobis

The orignal spring end pins from our Model 607 Stanley 7644 were worn to a most peculiar chape -looked at tho they were square section twisted!. So lubriaction is defintely needed I guess!</HTML>

Posted by: Ron Parola (IP Logged)
Date: January 02, 2002 09:56PM

<HTML>The 740's at least had boots over the springs which were felt lined, once soaked with oil and grease they keep things pretty slimey. I do pump some thin grease in there to keep them lubed. The brand name on the cover believe it on not is "Spats For Springs" Ron Parola</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.