SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
nikasil bores-Peter Heid
Posted by: jim reed (IP Logged)
Date: September 01, 2002 05:51PM

<HTML>Saw Peter Heid's comments on the 4-17-02 thread on unaflow (is that the same as uniflow?) engine lubrication. He mentioned he has a supplier for plating with a 7 day turn around. I've been road racing Yamah GP motorcycles for 35 years. I have never found anyone with that turn around that . What is the name of the company?

I completely agree with Peter's assesment of Nikasil from practical experience. When we used cast iron cylinders in the 60's they were a nightmare. You ALWAYS rode with two fingers on the clutch for fear of seizure. Chrome was vastly superior but would often be ruined if a bad seizure occured, and it would wear away. Nikasil is virtually bullet proof. Seizures, extended use?No problem. Everything wears out many, many times before it's time for a replate. Trying cast iron liners in plated bores showed an automatic 10% loss of hp on the dyno, more on aircooled cyls.. Wear rates and cylinder sealing problems were also very high. Do not know how any of this relates to steam engines. No experience.

Regarding Peter's assesment of the U.S. Gummit's banning of two-strokes he is again right on target. A 500cc 200hp supercharged fuel injected 2-stroke with a conventional automotive type bottom end with nikasil cylinders would last forever. This is also going on worldwide, not just in the U.S.. In International kart racing for example, serious thought is being given to ban 2-strokes in favor of 4-strokes. All resulting from gevenmental pressure in European Community. Results will be heavier, slower karts at double the cost.

This kind of gummit meddling and politically correct goosesteping by
so many others is one of the major reasons I have gotten into steam and out of racing for the most part. At least for now it can be practiced as a free and unfettered technology, which seem to me a neophyte, to have unlimited potential for experimentation.

Regards,

Jim Reed</HTML>

Re: nikasil bores-Peter Heid
Posted by: Peter Heid (IP Logged)
Date: September 02, 2002 01:16AM

<HTML>Jim,

US Chrome used to give great service but they seem to have slowed down to 10 days to 2 weeks on cylinder repair, but that was a year or so ago. I don't know what kind of turn around time to expect now, or with special requests. You can contact them at [www.uschrome.com] or 1-800-637-9019. They have 7 locations and the quality of the repairs was perfect. The supplier we use now is millinnium Technologies who specialize in small engine cylinder repair. They have given us very quick service with quality work. You can find them at [www.mt-llc.com] or at 1-920-893-5595

Hope this helps
Peter Heid</HTML>

Re: nikasil bores-Peter Heid
Posted by: jim reed (IP Logged)
Date: September 02, 2002 01:35AM

<HTML>Thanks, Peter. Regards, Jim Reed</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.