SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
<b>WELCOME! - Read Me First</b>
Posted by: JW (IP Logged)
Date: November 13, 2001 10:16AM

<HTML>To enjoy this forum, just click around and see how it works.

To help you keep track of what messages/posts you have already read, all unread posts will be marked as "new", IF your browser is set to *enable cookies*. If this feature is not working, please consult the help files in your browser for *cookies*

IMPORTANT-INPORTANT-IMPORTANT-IMPORTANT:

Before you type anything, Please consider where your post should appear in this forum.

Is your post a REPLY?

if YES - Then use the composition form just below the message that you want to REPLY to. Your message will appear in the thread, next to the message you are replying to.

if NO - Then click on [New Topic] in the Navigation bar at the top of the page. Your message will appear as a New Topic, starting a new thread, with a subject that you type in the Subject field.

You can post a message anytime. You do not have to Register or Log In, but more features are available if you do.
1) You can set up a personal profile
2) You can elect to have email notification of any response to your post.
3) The "Quote" option becomes available.

Just scroll down to the white composition box and type, then click POST. If there is no composition box, just click on the [Reply to This Message] link in the lower right hand corner of the message you are reading. Or you can look on the dark header or footer Navigation bar and click on the [New Topic] link.

You can't break it, so click around and see how it works.

To see my profile, just click on the link at the top of this message - Author: [JW]

Besssssst,

JW

</HTML>

<b>Re: How to register and create a profile</b>
Date: November 13, 2001 10:24AM

<HTML>Click on the "Log In" link

IMPORTANT:
Just use your own name and pick a simple, easy to remember password. Passwords are encrypted and cannot be retrieved if you forget. User IDs can not be duplicated, so if you do forget, you can register again and use your same UserID with a 1 added at the end. That will let you retain your familiar name.

Click the [Log In] button.

Now click on [My Profile], then [Edit Profile].

(To see my profile, click on my name (JW) in any message next to "Author:" at Top of Page.)

Here you can create your profile for others to see. You can even place a photo in your profile. The photo must be available/published/posted at a personal website or hosting service somewhere. Then you just enter the URL that points to this photo, where it says:
Image URL _________________

Once again to create Profile:
1) Log in
2) click [My Profile] on tool bar
3) click [Edit Profile] on new tool bar

Email me if you need more info, or if you want me to publish/post your photo.

You can have a free email address like this too--

your-name-here@stanleysteamers.com

I will set it up to automatically forward to your regular email address.

Email me for info, it is easy to do, and free.

Just ask- no worries!

Besssssst,

JW

To see my profile, just click on the link at the top of this message - Author: [JW]

</HTML>

John Woodson
Posted by: Pat Farrell (IP Logged)
Date: November 13, 2001 12:47PM

<HTML>I wish to thank John Woodson for his devotion to steam and the fine work that he has done to put together a world class Stanley Steam car web site. He caters to all steam but the focus appears to be Stanley.</HTML>

<b>Re: registration not neccessary</b>
Date: November 14, 2001 02:06AM

<HTML>You don't have to register to read or post messages.

Just click on [Reply to this Message] at the bottom, or click on [New Topic] on the Navigation bar at the top.

If you do register, you can set up a [My Profile]

to create Profile:
1) Log in
2) click [My Profile] on navigation bar
3) click [Edit Profile] on new navigation bar

JW

</HTML>

Re: John Woodson
Posted by: Kobus van Jaarsveld (IP Logged)
Date: November 16, 2001 06:34PM

<HTML>Thanks for all the effort you are putting into the site. I enjoy my visits and look forward to seeing the forum grow.</HTML>

<b>Re: Hi Kobus</b>
Date: November 16, 2001 11:49PM

<HTML>This forum is driven by a program called 'Phorum'. I chose it because it presented the cleanest, user friendly pages and features for people to use. It required some skills upgrade to install and bring online. It has held my interest, and I hope that you will discover why.

This is an 'open source' application in that the code is open to the administrator for examination, adjustments and modifications, much like a steam powered vehicle. In contrast is the first forum setup that we tried here which was remotely hosted, proprietery, commercial ridden and closed to examination or modification .... much like modern cars are with their mysterious metric fasteners, potted electronics and unfixable embeded systems.

So if it does catch on fire, I'll just turn off the main burner and smile 'till the smoke clears! [grin]

Besssssst,

JW

</HTML>

Hello from the Lamont Boiler Research Center [grin]
Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: November 27, 2001 05:28PM

<HTML>John,
Congratulations on the new "Phorum" and all your efforts to create such a good website, always a great joy to visit. There have been many questions to me regarding the Lamont boiler, so I will be putting together some design info and notes of our slooow but very successful progress. (like so many enthusiasts we are money deprived!!). It is really looking good, but not as good as your great website!! Best, George</HTML>

<b>Re: Post a REPLY or Start a NEW TOPIC?</b>
Date: December 03, 2001 02:54AM

<HTML>Please consider where your post should appear in this forum.

Is your post a REPLY?

YES - Then use the composition form just below the message that you want to REPLY to.

NO - Then click on [New Topic] in the navigation bar at the top of the page. This will start a NEW Thread, and your subject will appear more appropriately in the list of topics.

Thank you,

JW

</HTML>

Re: Phorum Phun
Posted by: Peter Heid (IP Logged)
Date: February 13, 2002 08:54PM

<HTML>John,
Thank you for the excellent forum. I am new to steam and the forum has provided me with many answers just by looking at someone elses questions (read first rule) and the conversations are great fun. You have not only gathered together many great minds, some just blossoming, but you have also created a friendly enviroment to culture the ideas needed to continue modern steam movement in a group effort.

Thanx Again
Peter Heid</HTML>

<b>Re: Phorum Phun</b>
Date: February 14, 2002 02:52AM

<HTML>Hey, ...this is great!

I only built the forum frame work, and you guys just started multiplying to populate new threads with info almost faster than I can even read it.

Thank you all!

Steam is a motive power that requires participation, generates friendship, creates anticipation in every fire and adventure in every mile. It is one technology that remains available for the individual to actually experiment with history.

It is from all of *You* sharing your knowledge and experience, that proves the enduring persistence of steam power as a personal challange and companion.

You are Very Welcome! [pun shamelessly extended] :'-)>

JW</HTML>

Re: Phorum Phun
Posted by: Peter Heid (IP Logged)
Date: February 14, 2002 06:49PM

<HTML>John,

By the way, you have a great web page also. It was easy to find and has most of the info or links needed by a newbie like me to get started, even though I FIRST go to the forum when ever I'm on line. Some how I get the feeling important events in history may be recored here, now or in the future.

Keep The Steam Up
Peter Heid</HTML>

<b>Re: WELCOME! - Read Me First</b>
Date: August 30, 2002 09:08PM

<HTML>HGi -

Just want to see if a new post will cause this thread to "FLOAT TO TOP"

JW
admin</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.