SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Boiler Design
Posted by: Newman (IP Logged)
Date: June 01, 2010 10:46PM

Hi all,

I am new to this site and was referred to post my question on this forum.

I am in a slow process of building my own steam engine from the ground up and was hoping you can help me.

I’m now in the process of designing my boiler. As James Crank states in his article about modern steam, there are very few references left to learn how to design these steam vehicles.

I am trying to find the correlation between BHP and the amount of steam I require. I see that one bhp is equivalent to 34.5 pounds of water converted to steam. Unfortunately there is no direct relation between weight and volume.

At first I was assuming the calculation would be to find the volume of the cylinder multiplied by the rpm’s over a certain period of time and this would be the volume of steam I need, but how do I go from lb/h to volume?
How do I calculate the required steam needed from my simple piston engine, and essentially the size of boiler (bhp rating)?

Thank you all for your time,

Austin

Re: Boiler Design
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: June 02, 2010 12:31AM

I am trying to find the correlation between BHP and the amount of steam I require. I see that one bhp is equivalent to 34.5 pounds of water converted to steam. Unfortunately there is no direct relation between weight and volume.

One Lb of steam is one Lb of water.

Rolly

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: June 02, 2010 08:38AM

If you don’t have a book of steam tables by Keenan & Keyes then this
on line calculator for saturated steam tables might help.
[www.efunda.com]

Rolly

Posted by: Newman (IP Logged)
Date: June 03, 2010 05:17AM

^
thank you

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.