SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Flaring Stainless Steel Tubing
Posted by: Stanleyguy101 (IP Logged)
Date: June 21, 2010 10:18PM

Hello everyone,
The steam line on my steam bicycle came apart the other week at a weird pipe to tubing fitting. So I've decided to replace the whole steam line and upgrade it to the correct 1/4" size from the 3/16" size it was. I got the tubing in today and I put it in my dad's flarer device and it slipped through the hold for it when I tried make it into a flare shape, so I tried again another time or two and ended up using a wrench to tighten it down and it still simply slips. Although it's flared a little bit there's got to be something that I am missing, although I will keep going and going if I have too to get it to flare.

Robert

Re: Flaring Stainless Steel Tubing
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: June 21, 2010 10:49PM

I have had the same problem in the past. Clamp your tubing firmly into something without crushing it. With the flare nut already in place and a couple of inches of tubing sticking up above it, heat the tubing end with a torch to make it workable. While still hot, take the ball of a ball pean hammer put a little flare to the end of the tubing. This flare can now be properly sized using your present flaring tools.

Date: June 22, 2010 10:49AM

Thanks I actually figured the first part out because it was sliping so I clamped the tubing the vice and tried to get the flare tool hold as close to flush as possible to reduce the slipping and having some luck, but I will add heat to the process to make the tubing workable.

Thanks

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: June 22, 2010 12:53PM

You need to make up a set of blocks for the vice to hold the tube so it won’t get crushed in the process of working it.
Take two blocks of the same size and put a 1/16 spacer between them and in the four jaw chuck of the lathe drill a hole for the tubing size down through the center.
Difference sizes come in handy on a lot of projects.

Rolly

Attachments: P6220009.JPG (89.1KB)   P6220010.JPG (93.4KB)  
Posted by: Andy Patterson (IP Logged)
Date: June 26, 2010 09:46PM

Rigid flaring tool works just fine for me, Needs to be the type that roles the flar. The smalest one doesn't work.

Look for a 376 ridgid flaring tool on ebay. Found one used for $22.37 bid.

Andy

Babington style waste oil heater pumps
Posted by: StickyDrumGuy (IP Logged)
Date: July 10, 2010 03:39AM

The cam gear pump works fine for filtered WVO or used motor oil Babington heaters and I have installed it on my Babington style heaters. Ldu Company's stock number is 450516 , The only thing about the cam gear pump is that the fire kind of pulses as the cam gear rotates. If you use the spur gear pump that is LDU's stock number 450512 then you get a steady non-pulsing fire. The WVO pump website is [www.liangdianup.com] or you can click through to the tools section from the home page at www.LDUcompany.com

LDU Company also has other parts that I use for building my waste oil burners, like gear reduction motors. I find it best to turn the pump slower because you really don't need a whole lot of oil dripping on the atomizer ball.

Date: July 24, 2010 12:36AM

? That's interesting I never knew you could start a thread within a thread

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.