SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley brakes
Posted by: ianc (IP Logged)
Date: September 25, 2010 08:05PM

Now that I've got the 735 on the road, I want to do something about the brakes. I know that they'll never be very effective, but I'd like them to be better than they are. The linings are new, I've turned the drums so they're reasonably smooth, and now I want to set them up so they provide maximum grab. To do that I have to make the actuating rod longer, so that the lever is past the vertical in the off position, and comes full on just after vertical. That means lengthening the rod, but the adjuster is at max now. So I have to make the adjuster longer. As far as I can see, the adjuster is 3/8", 20 tpi. I don't have taps or dies at 20 tpi, and neither does any local machine shop. Where do I go to get the required nut and rod? (I could chase the external threads on a lathe, but that doesn't solve the need for a female coupler.) Or I could cut the rods and weld in an insert, but I'd like to keep the car as original as possible. Thoughts? (Oh, and why did they use such an odd thread?)

Re: Stanley brakes
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: September 25, 2010 08:26PM

Any good machine shop supply has 3/8-20 tap and die. WT tool list 3/8-20 tap for $3.77 And a die for $7.00, look around.
there on line as well.

Rolly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 08:28PM by Rolly.

Date: September 25, 2010 09:44PM

Thanks. I've discovered, by the way, that 3/8 20 is BSF, which means that any shop that works on older Brit cars should have taps and dies, if not the actual parts I need.

Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: September 26, 2010 06:38PM

Be careful changing things,,,,look at it carefully,,It should lock the wheels one half to three quarters way down,,remember on a long hill the drums expand,,and the brake MAY not release,,opp of fade???,,,Backing up,,all bets off,,,they were very late on adopting the brake going both ways,,in favor of these servo effect setup,,There has been discussion on lining also,,I thought the brakes on my '22- 735 were just fine,,Good luck,,Ben

Date: January 29, 2011 02:50AM

I solved the problem, at least I hope I have. I made up two extensions, one for each side, by cutting the original long nut/threaded rod and adding a 20 cm piece to the middle. Once the weather warms up a bit and I get some ambition back, I'll put it together and see how it works.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.