SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Leno's 1910 Stanley model 70 video
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: November 05, 2010 02:47PM

Jay Leno released a new video on Nov 1, 2010 of his 1910 Stanley model 70 in action. See it at [www.jaylenosgarage.com]

Re: Leno's 1910 Stanley model 70 video
Posted by: BillB (IP Logged)
Date: November 06, 2010 12:09AM

Do you think Alan Kelso made the branch forks?

Date: November 06, 2010 01:18AM

Alan Kelso built from scratch, most of Jay's Model 70. The Baker Burner and branch forks that you seen are what Carl Amsley taught Alan Kelso to build. This is the same design that I have changed all five of our Stanleys to. The Baker Burner design has worked well for me for over 25 years so far.

Posted by: BillB (IP Logged)
Date: November 06, 2010 08:06PM

Do you think Carl taught him how to weld

Date: November 07, 2010 03:05AM

I am not going to touch that one.

Posted by: CWR (IP Logged)
Date: November 07, 2010 09:41PM

Great video as are all of Jay Leno's car video's on his site. I have a set of baker branch forks made by Ole Vickerie. I had to do some modifications to the face plate to accept Allen Kelso's burner though.

CWR

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: November 08, 2010 05:34PM

I see by the video Jay starts his Stanley like most every one I know. Hard to teach old dogs new tricks. Most of those I know do not build their own replacement parts.
When I first got my 1920 I fired it the same way as I was taught by those around me with Stanley cars. After watching things for a while I noticed the superheater was cherry red long before I had steam up. Not good. On a conventional water tube boiler the superheater is located up in the tube bank by several rows and never see the high temperature of the burner.
I no longer fire my Stanley boiler with low water or I should say other then being full of water to the top sheet.
What happens is not long after the pilot is lit the water start to expand and runs through the opened throttle valve into the superheater coil and even out through the engine drip valve. The superheater stays full do to the steam loop on the way to the engine. The superheater never gets red. Once the burner is lit and I get steam up I open the boiler blow down valves and lower my water level to my high limit. Bypass open mark before I start to move my car.
This takes a little longer but saves replacement of the superheater coil and lowers the start up temperature on the tube sheet as the superheater is drawing off a lot of the heat.
Hopefully I won’t have to build another superheater for my car.
I never felt a slug of water in the cylinder as the hot steam venting through the cylinder block heats it very well.
Rolly

Rolly

Attachments: With 310 SS liner.jpg (127.6KB)  
Posted by: CWR (IP Logged)
Date: November 17, 2010 01:06AM

I fire the same way, full boiler of water. I start with putting a hose to the car and opening the throttle, thus putting water into the superheater. Knowing there is water in the superheater I start the burner. As the water expands it flows into the superheater and keeps the superheater cool. As soon as steam begins to pour out the drip valve I open the surface blow off a bit, just enough to allow some water to pour out. I have a 5 gallon bucket that is directly under the surface blow off. While this valve is open I constantly check the water in the boiler to make sure that I do not allow the boiler to get anywhere lower than 3/4 full. Once some space is in the sight glass I close the surface blow off and open the bottom blow off to start the circulation in the automatic by pass. This has always ensured a good running day. The slower you take the time to fire up the better the car runs, at least on my 1922 Stanley.

CWR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.