SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
1914 Stanley top bow saddles
Posted by: Peter Turvey (IP Logged)
Date: December 31, 2010 01:19PM

The top bow saddles on my 1914 Model 607 Stanley have a number of small rubber inserts to hold the the top sockets. See photo.

Does anyone know if its possble to get new ones anywhere?

Thanks

Attachments: IMG_9030 compressed.jpg (114.7KB)  
Re: 1914 Stanley top bow saddles
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: December 31, 2010 03:08PM

Yep, you have the right ones for a 1914. I had to make mine. From the auto parts store, I purchased a black silicone gasket cement. I worked it like clay into the saddles and I formed it with my fingers to look just like the original black rubber. It took a couple of days for it to dry. They look great and they look and wear like they should. After many years of use, they still look like new. A bit cold here in the NW U.S.. 18 degrees F this morning. Too cold to go steaming. Check out the attachment on how we are presently warming our hands. We drive them year round!

Attachments: Warming our hands.JPG (201.5KB)  
Posted by: Peter Turvey (IP Logged)
Date: January 01, 2011 10:05PM

Thanks for the tip! Was there a rubber strip on the body side of the saddle too - looks like there was something but am not sure what.....if you can send a photo some time would be useful.

Great photo by the way....its not nearly so cold here in our part of the UK.

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: January 02, 2011 02:00AM

No rubber was on the body side of the top bow saddles. Check out the attachment of the snow sliding off of the cabin's roof on the Trail Ridge Road in Colorado. We have had enough fun with our 1914 Stanley for two average lifetimes.

Attachments: Spring Time in the Rockies.jpg (92.7KB)  

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.