SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Building a Replica
Posted by: Todd Hughes (IP Logged)
Date: April 10, 2003 10:36PM

<HTML>I am a amateur woodworker and a machinist by trade. I would love to build a replica of a 1900 locomobile so that I can enjoy the experience of riding in this early automobile.

I have been looking all over the place for information regarding the construction of the Locomobile. I have tried to locate this information without intruding on individuals, but I haven't had much success. Recently I have emailed the Henry Ford museum, the Stanley museum, as well as Howard Henderson personally. I'm still waiting for replies.

Why is this information so scarce? Does the construction information even exist? I think that this would be a wonderful project to pass my time away, but I cannot seem to get going in the right direction. Is it possible for you to help me in my endeavor? or point me in the right direction? Someone somewhere has the knowledge and expertise to get me going. Any help would be greatly appreciated.</HTML>

Re: Building a Replica
Posted by: David K Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: April 11, 2003 04:25PM

<HTML>A good description of the Locomobile was reprinted in the Steam Automobile, vol. 23 # 3 pp. 13-25, with drawings.
See also any early edition of "Self Propelled Vehicles", James E. Homans, Theo. Audel & co. NY 1904 or 1906.
"The Geneology of the "Locomobile" Steam Carriage" by Donald Ball is available from the Stanley Museum.</HTML>

Posted by: Mark Stacey (IP Logged)
Date: April 11, 2003 11:40PM

<HTML>Another couple of sources are the SACA storeroom and Lightsteam power. I do not know how detailed the pamphlets offered are.

[www.steamautomobile.com]
[www.lightsteampower.freeserve.co.uk]

Cheers
Mark Stacey</HTML>

Posted by: Arnold Walker (IP Logged)
Date: April 12, 2003 02:54AM

<HTML>I don't know if it will help. But Platinum Classics has one on display in East Rochester,NY.</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Brow (IP Logged)
Date: April 12, 2003 10:49AM

<HTML>FWIW, there was also a 1902 edition of "Self-Propelled Vehicles", of which I recently found a copy (have the 1910 ed. also). Pp 287-291 have great drawings of the Locomobile, isometric and plan, which look scalable.

Peter</HTML>

Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: April 12, 2003 02:07PM

<HTML>Todd,
There are quite a few members of SACA that have tried to/or have built replica Locomobiles. SACA did at one time have blueprints available. Also, some Southern California member has researched the devil out of the Locomobile and should have accurate blueprints of the chassis a body. Contact SACA.
Jim</HTML>

Thank You
Posted by: Todd Hughes (IP Logged)
Date: April 14, 2003 05:15PM

<HTML>I want to thank everyone who pointed out sources for information and gave me some assistance! I currently have copies of these items being sent to me and I'm fairly excited!

I will keep everyone informed on the progress, once I get started. Thank again for the support.</HTML>

Posted by: Bruce Wattendorf (IP Logged)
Date: April 17, 2003 12:51AM

<HTML>todd let me know how you make out i have a cupola furnace and can melt cast iron,brass and bronze and would like to build a car also but am looking for as close as possable to a original. i have thought about a 1910 stanley but i have also tossed the idea of a 1900-1902 car.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.