SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Tank identification on 1910 Stanley Model 60
Posted by: 1910 Stanley Model 60 (IP Logged)
Date: February 13, 2011 10:34PM

Having just purchased this car, I am attempting to identify items that are not original or correct.
1. The watertank under the front seat has a 20.7 calculated capacity.The filler is under the passenger side seat.It appears to be galvanized construction. What would the original tank material be?
2. The left side tank has two lines coming out and has an air stem to pressurize the tank. I would think it would be for the pilot fuel only. It appears that it may also be for the main burner. From my limited research has found,some say it should have a burner fuel tank under the rear seat,but their is none and no evidence that one was ever there. Where was the burner fuel tank located when this car was built?
3. There is a tank bracket on the drivers side marked PRESTOLITE on the bracket. No tank was on this bracket.There are two copper lines hanging near the bracket and go near the two headlamps. Restored pictures I've seen have this tank in the running board. Where should it be located?

Appreciate any help on these issues

Paul

Attachments: Left side tank.JPG (106KB)   Right side Presto lite bracket.JPG (61.7KB)  
Re: Tank identification on 1910 Stanley Model 60
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: February 13, 2011 11:26PM

Very unusual to have two prestolite tanks. Usually only one tank was mounted on the right side. Body or running board locations would either be correct. In 1910, the acetylene tanks were aftermarket accessories as were also the headlights and the windshield. The acetelyne tank had a line to the firing up torch, mounted up front and then it also had lines to the headlights too. Maybe the owner didn't want to be caught without acetylene so he installed an extra acetylene tank. The main fuel tank was factory mounted under the rear seat. The water tank was always made out of sheet copper. Copper was so cheap back then that they even used it for roofing houses. When first built, all Stanleys were single fuel systems through 1913. In 1914 now two fuels were used with appliance (Coleman fuel) being used for the pilot light and for firing up the main burner from cold. After the main fire had warmed up, the firing up valve was turned off and the main fuel valve was opened up. The pilot fuel tank was charged with air to about 30 pounds depending on the type of pilot light that you used. In an emergency, the car could run down the street using just the firing up valve for the main fuel supply. After 1913, most all of the earlier Stanleys were retro fitted with the two fuel 1914 systems. The pilot fuel tank can be found mounted in many different places on the car. The different places were all correct because it was an added accessory.

Re: Tank identification on 1910 Stanley Model 60
Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: February 14, 2011 12:24AM

The tyre valve on the tank says its not aceytelene,,,,or at least I hope not,,and the idea of puting gasolene in a aceytelene tank is not good,,but it was probably a handy tank wey back when,,
Looks like a nice find,,,and worth a close look to see if there are worth while features to preserve for the preservation class,,,which as years go on will become ever more important,,,Cheers,,Ben

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.