SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Cleaning boiler
Posted by: ianc (IP Logged)
Date: April 22, 2011 11:06PM

Spring having finally arrived, it's time to fire the 735 for the first time this year. I thought I'd clean the boiler first. Common wisdom seems to require putting TSP into the water tank and running it into the boiler. That's a lot of pumping,to get 60 litres into the boiler. Can anyone suggest an easier way? I thought of mixing the TSP into 20 litres of water in a bucket, and using some sort of siphon attachment to put it in while filling the boiler in the usual way, from a house bibb.

Re: Cleaning boiler
Posted by: Caleb Ramsby (IP Logged)
Date: April 23, 2011 03:47AM

What about using the boiler as a syphon?

Pump in enough water to cover the bottom sheet, mix enough cleaning agent for the boiler and put it into the water tank. Then fire the boiler long enough to build enough steam to clear the boiler of air, then turn off boiler, let it cool and the vacuum formed from the condensation of the steam should suck in the contents of the feed tank through the pumps right?

I think that the bypass would need to be closed for it to syphon full?

Caleb Ramsby

Re: Cleaning boiler
Posted by: mike clark (IP Logged)
Date: April 23, 2011 09:21PM

Just attach a hose and a funnel to one of the boiler blowdowns, hold the funnel high and get your assistant to pour the brew in then connect the hose to the tap and fill the boiler. You'll need to leave the throttle or whistle open to stop air pressure building up as the water goes in, or temporarily disconnect any pipe from the top of the boiler. I used my steam stack blower to let the air out when putting corrosion inhibitor in before putting the car away for Winter and the same whenever I had to fill the boiler from empty.

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.