SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Number of steamers?
Posted by: Michele (IP Logged)
Date: March 25, 2004 04:57PM

<HTML>Hi,

I am working on a research project on "extinct" technologies. It was proposed to me that steam-powered automobiles were "extinct." Clearly they are not. However, I need to get some numbers. I've been in contact with a number of steamer enthusiests/experts. Below are the estimates I've been given regarding the number of steamers that were ever built, the number still in existence, and the number of those still running. I'd be interested in hearing if you think these numbers are valid or if you can suggest others or other sources I might consult. I thank you in advance, Michele

55,000 steamers were made in the years 1899 through 1925, most of them before 1906. (Horseless Carriage Gazette)

Guesses for the number still in existence range from 400 - 1000

Guesses for the number still running are 1/2 to 3/4 of those in existence.

summaries of responses:

* Combining the data in the two most recent steam car registers, the Sprague register of 1985 and the Stanley register of 1994 (which covers only Stanley related cars), more than 700 cars are still in existence. As I personally know of nearly two dozen cars which are not in the registers, it is not unreasonable to assume there are more than a thousand steam cars in existence.

As to what fraction of these are operable, I am guessing that more than half but less than three fourths are driveable. A smaller portion are likely to be registered and/or licensed.

* I would guess around 400 are left, and perhaps 3/4 are able to run.

*My educated guess is that there might be 1,000 steam cars left, of which 400-600 are road-worthy.</HTML>

Re: Number of steamers?
Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: March 25, 2004 05:36PM

<HTML>Michele,
There had been a previous thread containing such a discussion, think you are in the ballpark. One thing to consider is a lot of running cars are replicas licensed as original cars by year, how many of non-original cars of the 800-1000 is anyones guess.
George</HTML>

Posted by: Michele (IP Logged)
Date: March 25, 2004 06:25PM

<HTML>Hi George & all,

I hadn't considered replicas...that's useful to know.

I tried a quick search of the archive, but did not come up with the previous thread. Do recollect when it occurred or any key terms that might help me find it?

Thanks again, Michele</HTML>

Posted by: Christopher W Roberts (IP Logged)
Date: March 29, 2004 05:27AM

<HTML> There are also several replica cars out there that no originals are in existance. Two come to mind, the Vanderbilt Cup Racer, and the Model 85 30 h.p. Stanley.
The Stanley is more prone to being replicated as there is more parts around that Whites and Dobles. Also to take in consideration that precious fwe are actually complete original cars. Most have had the boiler and/ or engine replaced. Replaceing the boiler or engine does nothing however to the originality of the car so long as it is of the correct model and year. Most non condensing 20 horse power cars (1910-1914) have almost the exact engine installed and several even have converted later engines. Since you an not see the engine in the oil cover that is in fact a mute point.
Overall I would say of all American built steam cars, there is roughly about 1200 in existance today. A good duess about 1/3 are operational. Out of the remaining cars, about 1/2 can be made to run within a two year time frame, and the last need heavy restoration work.

CWR

<a href="mailto:&#109;&#109;&#64;&#107;&#107;&#46;&#111;&#114;&#103;?subject=Re: Number of steamers?">Michele</a> wrote:
>
> Hi George & all,
>
> I hadn't considered replicas...that's useful to know.
>
> I tried a quick search of the archive, but did not come up
> with the previous thread. Do recollect when it occurred or
> any key terms that might help me find it?
>
> Thanks again, Michele</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.