SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
pumbing diagram
Posted by: 1910 Stanley Model 60 (IP Logged)
Date: October 05, 2011 03:02AM

Does anyone have an accurate plumbing diagram for the gas,water and steam systems for a 1910 Stanley?

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: pumbing diagram
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: October 05, 2011 03:42AM

Take a lot of photos of original Stanley cars' plumbing, if you can find the cars. You can find them on steam car tours and at their owner's homes. There are plenty of condensing cars' plumbing diagrams to follow (only as a guide) to where everything goes. A pressure retaining valve is unique to the non condensing cars, so work that in to the picture too. As long as the major components (i.e. automatics, filters, gauges etc.) are in their proper places, everything will work well. No two Stanleys were ever plumbed the same by the different mechanics at the Stanley factory, so don't worry about being authentic in tubing placement. I have always tried to be very neat in my plumbing, but some guys must have been aircraft mechanics because their plumbing is extremely neat in their installation.

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: October 05, 2011 04:30PM

In 1910 the Stanley used a single fuel system. I only know of a few cars beside myself that are running a single fuel system. Attached is a drawing of what I am using. It is modified from the original in that it has a drain back valve, a fuel tank filter, and a pressure-reducing valve for the pilot.
The location of valves and components varies with different models.

The water system is pretty basic. Hear is an early drawing modified slightly.

Rolly

Attachments: Fuel System.jpg (63.3KB)   Water System revised.jpg (174.3KB)  
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: October 05, 2011 05:48PM

Good answers Rolly. I completely forgot about the plumbing diagrams in the owner's manuals.

Date: October 06, 2011 12:52AM

Great advice. I have found 2 unrestored 1910 Model 60's within reasonable travel distance. Attached are two pictures, one of my car with an non original water pump set up. The other is from an original unrestored vehicle I got to examine and photograph.
I have purchased a number of correct original parts and have removed the existing water pump and am now attempting to mock up the correct parts and plumbing.
I appreciate your suggestion and will continue to reseach
Paul

Attachments: my 1910 Model 60.jpg (124.9KB)   unrestored 1910 Model 60.jpg (102.5KB)  
Date: October 06, 2011 01:00AM

Rolly,
These diagrams are very helpful. To a seasoned Stanley owner the plumbing may seem obvious, but to myself I have to study and diagram each system.
Thanks for passing these on.....priceless information,
I am located in West Michigan and would be happy to have any phorm member that is in the area look at my car and point out parts that are incorrect. Contact me by PM if that would be a possibility.
Paul

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: October 06, 2011 12:55PM

Paul
The drawing’s I posted are basic and you may have other components on your car. Very few are original. Most have been retrofitted with Stanley components as they became available over the years. You may have a exhaust feed water heater, it would have to be tied into the feed water line before the boiler check valve. You may have an automatic boiler water level control, it an automatic water bypass, it would be tied in before the feed water heater so only cold water returned to the tank.
On the fuel system you may have a low water automatic on the boiler. This shuts the fuel off to you burner if the boiler water gets low. There are a few experts in Michigan. Get to know them. Good luck with your car.
Rolly

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.