SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Sight feed blinker
Posted by: ianc (IP Logged)
Date: October 27, 2011 10:35PM

When I first drove my car, the Sight Feed Blinker occulted. Lately, it has started flashing. Having looked at the construction (not by taking it apart, but on Robert Wilhelm's web site) I suspect the outlet is clogged, and oil is not going through until enough pressure is built up by the pump to overcome the resistance. That would result in the window being black longer than clear. Does that seem likely? Or has anyone had a similar experience?

Once more, thanks. (And thanks for the comments on the crankcase oil.)

Ian Cameron, 1919 Stanley Four Seat Touring

Re: Sight feed blinker
Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: October 28, 2011 02:55PM

Is the pump original style or Madison Kipp?? What oil are you using?? Any chance temperature plays into this,,,Mornings reminder,,we got white 1/2" all over this morning at 22f,,,A friend in Va says yesterday was 75f,,Cheers,,Ben

Posted by: mike clark (IP Logged)
Date: October 28, 2011 08:23PM

First thing is to find out if oil is being pumped - disconnect the oil line from the steam pipe, run the engine with one wheel jacked up for half a minute and see whether oil comes out of the pipe and whether the winker does anything different. Clean out the fitting where the oil goes into the steam pipe. This way you should be able to work out what is going on.

Mike

Posted by: ianc (IP Logged)
Date: October 28, 2011 11:46PM

It's a Madison Kipp. I'm not sure what the oil is - the PO gave it to me in a large can - no label. Pretty thick, and VERY hard to get off anything. The temp here is indeed cooler than the summer - it was about 13 C when I had it out - call it 56 F. I'll disconnect it and see whether it pumps. There's a hand pump on the oil tank, so I don't have to lift one wheel.

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: October 29, 2011 01:01AM

It’s to bad you don’t know what you have.
Most steam cylinder oil used today is 600 weight ISO-460
They do make a non compounded 1000 W ISO 680 and an ISO 1000 as well.
In a condensing car you should be using a non-compounded oil.
You also can thin the oil with K-1 kerosene but I can’t remember the ratio.
Sorry maybe some one can help with that.

Rolly

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: October 29, 2011 01:56PM

Thinning Steam Cylinder Oil:
1902 to 1914 Stanley Non condensing... Use compounded steam cylinder oil with temperature protection to about 600 degree F. Typically Exxon Cylistic TK 1000 or a similar compounded steam cylinder oil works best. The oiling indicator winks by quantity of oil delivered.
Rate of use: 1 gallon cylinder oil in 300 to 500 miles
1915 to 1922 model 735 & 736 condensing Stanleys with slow axle driven piston pump. (Most of information taken from Stanley Dealer Bulletins.)
Atlantic Stanley Cylinder oil: Thin-compounded steam cylinder oil, thinned by 8 ounces of kerosene to the gallon of steam cylinder oil. Thinned for better oil flow in cold weather and better metering of oil consumption. David Nergaard suggested: "Dilute it just enough that the pump works freely and let it go at that.."
"Do not use the Atlantic 20th Century Cylinder Oil which is a thick, heavy bodied, undiluted oil which is provided only for the model 740. If this heavy oil is used in the earlier condensing cars which require a thin diluted oil, it will give excessive lubrication, which while it will do no harm to the engine, but it will have injurious effect on water pumps, condenser, boiler, etc." The owner's manual also says that "normally the pump has a 1/4 inch pump stroke".
The oiling indicator winks by quantity of oil delivered.
When repacking the oil pump, the first thing to go in before the packing is a leather washer. The leather washer helps prevent the packing from being forced through with the piston stroke, eventually fowling the oil pump check valve.
Rate of use: "A gallon of cylinder oil should be sufficient for 300 to 500 miles".
1922 model 740 to end with oil box type ratchet oiler driven by lever from cross head.
Non compounded steam cylinder oil. Originally, Atlantic 20th Century Oil. A Thick bodied super heated rated, undiluted cylinder oil. The thin bodied diluted Stanley cylinder oil used in the 735 and 736, used with the 740 lubricator will not lubricate the engine cylinders. (A high temperature synthetic gear oil works well too. Separates beautifully in the water tank and can be easily flooded off at refill.)
The box lubricator design and construction are fundamental and reliable, permitting the pump to deliver with assurance the small quantity of undiluted oil which is required for lubrication.
The cylinder oil indicator delivery is determined by the hand leaving the pin, and the distance will vary with the pressure on the steam line.
Rate of use: "1 gallon of cylinder oil in 1,500 miles".
Nowadays, it has been the experience of owners of all years of condensing Stanley Steam cars, not to use compounded steam cylinder oils in their boilers; due to the heavy oil build up that results in their boilers from using the compounded oils.
Ian, the oil that you received in the can when you purchase your 735, was EXXon cylestic TK 1000. Excellent for noncondensing steaming, but tough on boilers if running as condensing. Your Stanley is using the model 740 type of lubricator.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.