SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Blower driven pot burners
Posted by: John Winter (IP Logged)
Date: June 24, 2003 01:25AM

<HTML>Has any one ever tried to fire a boiler with a large pot burner using a blower to force more fire. Is there any info on these burners.</HTML>

Re: Blower driven pot burners
Posted by: myles twete (IP Logged)
Date: August 06, 2003 12:43PM

<HTML>Take a look at the WASTEWATTS group on YAHOO.
There's been a lot of info and discussion of TURK burners, which look to me to be a lot like pot burners with forced air.

[groups.yahoo.com]

Subscribers to that group have access to images of the Turk burner in operation and files and drawings of its construction.

In case this helps.

-Myles Twete, Portland</HTML>

SACA/NW President, Loco "Grasshopper", S/L "Oly"

Posted by: John Winter (IP Logged)
Date: August 07, 2003 05:10AM

<HTML>Thanks for the info Myles. Will you be getting up to Blaine for our meet this weekend. JOHN</HTML>

Posted by: Graham Bender (IP Logged)
Date: August 15, 2003 09:02AM

<HTML>I do know of a friend that experimented with a large pot burner and used a car heater fan for the blower. The unit was started with a piece of rag socked in Kero, set a light. The fuel he used was waste engine oil, with in a minute there was so much heat radiating from furnace that it was hard to be with in 2m.
Regards

Graham</HTML>

Posted by: Narroc (IP Logged)
Date: January 13, 2005 06:01AM

<HTML>I have over the last 40 yrs serviced a lot of oil burners, I have on serveral occassions come acrooss a burner made in the states, called the Klear kleen burner which runs on diesel used on hot air furnaces. operation is automatic.
The room thermostat calls for heat the burner fan starts and at the same time energises a hot wire over a bimetal strip which slowly lifts and opens up the flow of oil from a float regulating valve, Also at this time a hot wire energised by from a transformer at about 3 volts this glows red hot and ignites the oil as it starts to flow past a an abestos wick. the oil flows though to the pot and the air from the fan blows in from numberous hole around the pot, when the thermostat is satisfied the oil flow slowly stops while the fan continues to run on a thermostat on the pot and as this cools the fan stops.
the pot was a long narrow one and had to just leveled just right to get satisfactory lighting. They tended to be a bit tempermental. and where only used on the lower end of the range while the more conventional pressure jet burner.
hope this helps.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.