SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Model 607 Stanley automatics
Posted by: Peter Turvey (IP Logged)
Date: March 02, 2012 11:11PM

Anyone know if the Model 607 Stanleys were fitted with water level control automatics (as well as low water automatics) when new? I don't think the 1940s photo of the orignal boiler I have shows one.Just wondering if I should fit one to our car during its comissioning.

Photo is at: [sites.google.com]

Re: Model 607 Stanley automatics
Posted by: Kelly (IP Logged)
Date: March 03, 2012 02:13AM

The 607 parts book shows the low water automatic, but not an automatic bypass. The 1916 catalog describes the automatic bypass.

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: March 08, 2012 05:34PM

I have been waiting to hear a reply from Jim Merrick from the Stanley Museum on this topic but apparently he has been unavailable. I have been told by many that the "Stanley Water Automatic" was commonly used on the 1911 and later Stanleys. I do not have this information backed up by proof other that that F E Stanley had filed for a patent for his water automatic in 1907. In his patent he stated that his final water automatic to be used would differ from his patent drawings. Find his water automatic patent at: Patent number: 1168229
Filing date: Jul 18, 1907
Issue date: Jan 11, 1916

Posted by: Peter Turvey (IP Logged)
Date: March 09, 2012 09:27PM

Thanks, looks like th jury is still out on this one. I took another look at the Univ of Pennsylvania 1917 dynamometer test photos at [www.stanleysteamers.com] , but these don't show any boiler details.

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: March 28, 2012 12:48AM

Today I took the time to adjust the water automatic on our 1914 Stanley 606. I had set it on the bench but I had never set it with steam on the gauge. I found that the automatic was lazy and I had to up the spring pressure. Next thing that I did was turn the front adjusting nuts the wrong way. Got that turned around real quickly. It works great!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.