SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
ORMOND BEACH-HARRY SCHOELLS POWERPLANT
Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: January 31, 2005 09:29PM

<HTML> This last weekend was the annual get together at Ormond Beach FL and probably 40+ cars where there. Unfortunately the tides and waves did not allow cars to run on the beach but a tour and homebase of the old Vanderbuilt Mansion made it very interesting. Brent C. had his very rare Raymond Stanley 30HP special there, also an early tiller Stanley and Chuk Willliams "locomotive" were there, I will try and send a few pictures. It was wonderfull to see, with many older and rare cars present, that Chuks car had the most people standing around it wondering what it was all about! One of the most interesting items on display was a 18HP/90# self contained steam unit built by Harry Schoells. My mind could not quite comprehend this self contained engine/boiler/condenser/pumps unit but it was very intrigueging. Harry has built many very high performance boats and has plans of installing a 100HP steam unit version in one of his smaller hulls to break the 42MPH record set by Herreshoff way back. Harry claims that the 100HP self contained unit would weigh about 300# and that would be admirable if possible, two smaller units have been tested and run successfully for several hours. There are several new engine/steam designs being discussed lately, Howard Langdon is considering a water steam boat record as well. Possibly more information on this self contained and oil less engine system with water pressurized bearings could be presented---unfortunately I took no pictures of it in the back of his van.
Next year is the big year at Ormond, the 100th anniversity of the record setting Stanley of '06 and a huge number of cars including many steamers are expected to be present. May it be with good beach and weather conditions and may the steamers astound the crowds. Maybe Harry could send some info and pictures of this self contained steam unit.

Best, George</HTML>

Re: ORMOND BEACH-HARRY SCHOELLS POWERPLANT
Posted by: Howard Randall (IP Logged)
Date: February 01, 2005 11:41AM

<HTML>Hi George, thanks for the update. I look forward to the pics. Hope all is well with you.</HTML>

Date: February 01, 2005 04:26PM

<HTML>Howard,
I had thought you might have come down for Ormond!! Thanks you very much for the XMAS invite down here, I am still licking my chops over the huge roast beef dinner.
Hopefully next year Ormond will be the huge and successful celebration it is intended to be, certainly Sue Davis is going to get out a large steam car participation and the Stanley Museum given a large part of the events. It all depends upon the weather. Harry Schoell intends to have one of his 100HP units in a car, if possible, but as we all know prototype building can run into a lot of delays and setbacks. Please give my regards to all my old friends at the next SACA/NE meeting, I do miss the group collective energy.

Best, George</HTML>

Date: March 04, 2005 02:28PM

<HTML> I was present during the running of Harry Schoell's small self contained steam powerplant yesterday and there is a video and pictures of it posted on the main website. The engine was running around 2400RPM during the test.
enjoy the sound video, George</HTML>

Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: March 04, 2005 02:53PM

<HTML>Hi George,,To run at that speed it is a single acting engine??? Cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Harry Schoell (IP Logged)
Date: March 04, 2005 03:25PM

<HTML>Hi Ben,
this engine is single acting and is designed to be a constant speed for generators. Design speed is up to 5000 rpm. In the video there was no tach reading, most people backed up. The 6cyl is far more sophisticated with variable valve timing.
Have a good day
Harry</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.