SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Red Rock Tour arrives in the Northwest
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: June 17, 2012 05:10AM

The 2012 Red Rock Tour arived in the Northwest with about 17 pre 16 cars in their group. They will be touring for a total of about three weeks. Don Bourdon with his 1911 Stanley model 85 is in the attached photo. Aboard the model 85, Mike May is the engineer and Don Bourdon is the fireman/navagator.

Attachments: Mike May and Don Bourdon stopping for a bite on the Red Rock Tour 2012.jpg (70KB)   Don Bourdon model 85 Stanley on Red Rock Tour 2012.jpg (80.8KB)  
Re: Red Rock Tour arrives in the Northwest
Posted by: ianc (IP Logged)
Date: June 17, 2012 11:55PM

Do you have an itinerary, Pat?

Date: June 18, 2012 12:18AM

Dear Ian, Check your email. They will also be touring on Vancouver Island, B.C.

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: June 18, 2012 04:05PM

It would be nice to have a daily up date. These guys typically go for two to three thousand miles.
Rolly

Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: June 18, 2012 05:01PM

Hi Rolly,,,Check with AACA forum,,,tours I think,,,,was reading some of it last nite,,
The Stevens bent a rim,,nasty bend up,,couldnt get rim off wheel,,
Wild views of mountains,,,,Cheers,,Ben /// p/s General discussions,,,
Red Rock tour in Stevens Duryea,,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2012 05:25PM by Ben.

Date: June 19, 2012 01:29AM

On their tour, the Red Rock Tour has had several mechanical challenges as can be expected. Their tour goes from June 10th and finishes up on June 29th. They drive about 130 to 190 miles a day. On their return trip from Vancouver Island and the Olympic Peninsula, on Sunday June 24th, the tour group will be visiting our car museum here at our home in Sedro-Woolley. I hope to have a steamer fired up and to follow them a ways on Highway 20 Eastbound, as long as it is not raining. :) Norm Shanklin sure had a beautiful Rolls Silver Ghost that he was driving on the tour. Wow! See two Rolls behind the Packard in the attachment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2012 02:33AM by SSsssteamer.

Attachments: Red Rock Tour White touring.jpg (73.6KB)  
Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2012 01:46AM

Nice Packard "30",,,432 cid,,,bore 5,,stroke 5 1/2,,,,
Easy to start with the compression release ,rt side below radiator,,,
Another joy to discover Hope they swaped rides/driving,,Its fun,,
Cheers Ben

Date: June 19, 2012 04:33PM

Norm Shanklin sure had a beautiful Rolls Silver Ghost that he was driving on the tour. Wow!

Pat check the left side running board I think it’s the one with the built in toolbox. Interesting.

Rolly

Date: June 19, 2012 05:03PM

Rolly, Yes it does have a very useful tool box in the running board. Check out the attachment. I took several photos of the cars.

Attachments: Norm Shanklin's Silver Ghost.jpg (60.6KB)  
Date: June 19, 2012 05:36PM

Norm showed me that toolbox several years ago. It was the inspiration to build the one in my EX. Since then thanks to Kelly I have found several photos of EX cars with similar tool boxes.
Rolly

Attachments: 0_1907_EX_Rhodes_grandfather1.jpg (60.7KB)  
Date: June 25, 2012 02:04AM

A nice group of pre 1916 cars visited our museum today, on Sunday June 24th. They were a group of 17 cars on about a 3,000 mile progressive tour that started out in Missoula, Montana and it will end there three weeks later. Don Bourdon and his 1911 Stanley model 85 is an attention getter. More attention than he needs. This foggy morning, he was stopped by the Burlington police for pollution and about 5 minutes later, again he was stopped by the Sedro-Woolley police for the same infraction. It seems that his steamer was adding to the morning's fog bank with its condensate. In both cases, once the police officers understood that Don's fog bank was not oil pollution, they apologized to him and sent him on his way. The sunshine later came out and it was top down time for them as they headed East over highway 20. See attachments

Attachments: DSCF0642.jpg (106KB)   DSCF0664.jpg (138.4KB)   DSCF0668.jpg (107.1KB)  

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.