SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
pilot fuel tank gauges
Posted by: Jeff Brown (IP Logged)
Date: November 15, 2012 02:08AM

The Stanley R I measured up at the Estes Park museum had a level gauge in the end of the tank - see attached photo. Were these original? The ones I've seen were Triumph gauges made by the Boston Gage Co.

If they were original then I need to find one or make one - does anyone have one thay want to sell, or loan one I can use as a pattern to make one?

Jeff

Attachments: Stanley 077.jpg (106.4KB)  
Re: pilot fuel tank gauges
Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: November 16, 2012 08:13PM

I can't recall what year Stanley went to a 2 fuel system,,around '13 maybee,,
So there would not have been a separate pilot tank,,til then
A prime valve to feed the main burner with gas/petr'l is handy tho,,
Many cars were / are retro fitted for pilot fuel/separate,,
All for now,,,Ben

Posted by: Jeff Brown (IP Logged)
Date: November 17, 2012 02:53AM

Thanks Ben, I think you are right. I looked up my booklet of operating instructions from 1908 and sure enough, no pilot tank! Never noticed that before. So, not sure what to do now as I do want a pilot tank and it would be kind of useful to have a level gauge in it. Not sure how the Boston Triumph ones worked mounted in the end of the tank. Attached is a 1905 advert for a vertical one but the horizontal ones I've seen pictures of have a long slotted tube in the tank.

Jeff

Attachments: $(KGrHqZHJEsE+T-QQSm-BQOZoEKo+g~~60_57.jpg (97.8KB)  
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: November 17, 2012 03:27AM

1914 was the first year for the Stanley two fuel system with most all of the earlier models retro fitted with the new accessory pilot tank. The side mounted gauge works the same as the Triumph gauge posted above but with a float being able to swing in an arc with in the tank. Stanley did use the Triumph fuel gauge in 1914 and on later models. The Triumph gauge is still available some where today as the pilot tank builders are still installing new Triumph gauges in their new pilot tanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.