SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Correct top for a Model 607 Stanley
Posted by: Peter Turvey (IP Logged)
Date: November 26, 2012 03:03PM

Hello everyone

I'm going to get a new top & top bows made up over here in the UK for my Model 607 Stanley car #7644; had a lot of useful info from ssssteamer & others, and access to a sister car #7717 over here and not very far from me either. Thought I'd also ask if the top on this car would be a resonably authentic one to copy - the car was restored by Carl Amsley at some time and I am guessing the top was replaced too.

See my flickr site

[flic.kr]

If the link does not work a flickr search for stanley 7717 will bring up the photos....

I'd be intereted in any detailed photos showing how much the first top bow should overhang and clear the windshield on toher model 607s, as I think this bow on #7717 might have distorted.

Thanks

Peter Turvey
Marlborogh UK

Re: Correct top for a Model 607 Stanley
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: November 26, 2012 04:40PM

Peter, The top in your 607 Stanley top example has a replacement top. It shows it black both inside and out. So there isn't a cast in stone decision to be made from it. The original top was black on the outside with a tan lining on the inside, same color as the interior straps of your top example. To top material was a mohair material. Not a vinyl like material as was used on the earlier Stanleys. The 1914 Stanley season catalog describes the top material better than I can. Attached are a couple of photos of orignal tops. The 607 top is a photo taken within a year of being purchased new. The 606 top is an original unrestored top that is untouched except by the ravages of time and weather. Notice the color of the inside of the top. The 1914 top was a whole different top that a 1913 top, so don't get confused by finding a 1913 top and comparing them. Their side curtain fasteners and top bow saddles were totally different between the two years.

Attachments: 1914 Stanley 607.jpg (15.8KB)   101_4349.jpg (44.4KB)  
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: November 26, 2012 05:13PM

I had better mention that the 1914 606 original top shown above has the mid 1914 front top straps that anchored at the bottom of the windshield stanchions. The front bow windshield overhang could possibly be shorter than the early 1914 style of front bow strap mountings that fastened to the front by the headlights. In 1914, it was common for the more expensive cars to have their top hold down straps fastened to the bottom of the windshield stanchions. Cadillac, Overland and many more mounted their top straps that way for the 1914 year. Also.... On the inside leather straps by the rear window, use brown leather rather than black leather straps. The black leather will rub off its black die onto your inside tan liner if black leather straps are used on the inside. Front black leather straps are correct.

Posted by: Peter Turvey (IP Logged)
Date: November 27, 2012 05:33PM

Thanks SSsssteamer very useful to know about these details; our car left the factory in May 1914, and definitely had long front bow straps. Looks like I need to get details of the correct side curtains for the first half of 1914, as the top on car #7717 is a replacement.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.