SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
u-haul trailer
Posted by: EBG (IP Logged)
Date: February 19, 2013 08:56PM

Hi,
I have to move my 735 Stanley soon and don't have access to my usual trailer. Has anyone had experience using the standard U-Haul automobile trailer? I measured one and it looks like it will work; over 5000 lb capasity, deck rails are 144" long and the tread of 59" will work as well.
Thanks,
Eric

Re: u-haul trailer
Posted by: laheyth (IP Logged)
Date: February 22, 2013 01:15AM

The only comment I could offer is the advantage of an enlcosed trailer... if you are hauling long distances. It is amazing the parts that seem to fall off, and at least with an enclosed trailer you can keep them.

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: February 22, 2013 01:57AM

U-haul can easily fit you to an open trailer so that you can get your Stanley home. I would like to add that in an open trailer, the wind damage can really add up. From the wind: Top material can tear loose, seat coverings can get ruined, wind wigs and rear view mirrors can be blown loose. And if it rains or snows, the elements do their best to help destroy your antique car. A closed trailer is usually the best choice. A low speed (35 mph or less) run on a clear day can be doable with an open trailer. I have a trailer of each type and I usually use the closed trailer. If you are using an open trailer, while transporting down the road, if at all possible, do not cover your car up with a blue tarp. The chaffing of the tarp against your paint in the wind will quickly remove your car's paint.

Posted by: EBG (IP Logged)
Date: February 23, 2013 04:36PM

I ended up renting an equipment tailer (7000 lb rating with a 16ft long tilting deck) instead of the u-haul trailer. It was just too hard to get u-haul to rent me the trailer, seems like they need to have very specific info and approval from their insurers before they will rent the trailer. Would have been a tight squeeze at any rate. By keeping the speed down, avoiding the rain, and making sure the wing windows and top cover were tied down, I managed the tow without any damage to the car, although a covered trailer is definately the way to go. At some point maybe the car and driver will be reliable enough to do these shorter trips without a trailer!
Thanks,
Eric

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.