SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Where have you been steaming to ?
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: July 22, 2013 03:12AM

We just got back from a 2 cylinder KISS tour in the Buckley Washington area. We visited a sandstone quarry in Wilkerson and some other ghost town like towns in the foot hills of Mt. Baker. Our 1914 Stanley ran excellent the whole trip.

Re: Where have you been steaming to ?
Posted by: Kelly (IP Logged)
Date: July 22, 2013 08:09PM

Did you pass any of the other 2-cylinder cars? :-)

Date: July 22, 2013 10:55PM

Since I was the only steam car on the tour, if needed, I followed in the back of the tour to pick up any of their gas car pieces found the road as they lost them. Our 10 hp Stanley also stayed at the rear of the tour to make sure that all the one and two cylinder cars arrived to our destinations at the same time. If the Stanley was in the lead, it would have arrived at the destinations a way ahead of the gas cars. To arrive too early at a destination can be a lonely experience. The average road speed of the KISS tour was only about 28 mph. My water mileage was fantastic. Our 1914 Stanley really likes to tour at about 45 mph, but any speed will work well for it. I did get a chance to tow a 1907 two cylinder Buick to a place that it could be loaded onto a trouble truck. With the Buick in tow, we accelerated up the hill with the Buick in tow like we were both on flat ground.

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: August 02, 2013 05:10PM

Another happy owner.
I spent the week repairing valve seats and air leaks and getting this little 1901 Locomobile back running. The owner and I road up and down the street most of the morning. It still needs work not pumping enough water. Seams to be making enough steam. Now that most of the air leaks are fixed it held burner pressure all morning and had not dropped any air pressure.

Rolly

Attachments: small.jpg (168.8KB)   small-2.jpg (285.3KB)  
Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: August 21, 2013 12:58PM

2 tower crashes and a flatscreen suicide ,,,,I'back i think,,,Had the H out in the parking lot,,no smoke bonnett,,Pilot and main burner A-OK
Rolly,,does that Loco have 1 or 2 water pumps? What is the plunger size,,
seems to me there were different size pumps
Does it have a muffler/feedwater heater??
Looks like good weather down there,,
Cheers,,Ben

Date: August 21, 2013 08:06PM

Ben
The engine has one pump and there is a hand pump. I don’t know the diameter or stroke but he is having some problems keeping the water up. The car has been suffering from a lot of crud in the water tank. The cap was off for some time and mice had a home. A water filter has been added and needs daily cleaning.
I wouldn’t call it a muffler just piping from the top of the boiler back to a tee and out the two sides. I had to remove it when I rolled all the tubes top and bottom. The car still needs work that I think the owner can do, but it’s running up and down the street now without trouble. Just need to improve the performance. These cars have no superheat.

Rolly

Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: August 21, 2013 08:39PM

Correct,,no superheat,,,,but they called that "can" a muffler,,
feedwaterheater,,,anything to capture heat,,
Whats it got for a burner,,and pilot,These early cars are always a challenge and comprimise,,,Save me from the firing iron,,,OOOff,,Ben

Date: August 21, 2013 10:30PM

Ben
This car has a Stanley boiler 14” D 14” H no feedwater heater, no superheater. It has an original main stop valve before the throttle valve, you need to remember to open it. The handle is kind of neat when closed you can remove the handle to go into a restaurant so no one can move the car.
I had to make all new vaporizers to keep it from carboning up.
Rolly

Attachments: burner-s.jpg (149.2KB)   boiler bottom.JPG (248.9KB)  
Date: October 22, 2013 05:40AM

September 8th was the first day of five fun filled days of steaming the shorelines and the back roads of Southwest Washington with our Stanley steamer roadster. There were about 29 pre-1916 vehicles on the tour with only two of them being steamers.. Dan Findlay had brought his 1911 Stanley model 62 roadster down from Canada, and we had brought our 1914 Stanley model 606 roadster down from Sedro-Woolley to Long Beach, Washington. Long Beach's twenty two mile long beach is the longest uninterrupted beach in the world. We steamed about 350 miles that week. What fun!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.