SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Steam Cylinder oil atomizer
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: September 01, 2013 02:40PM

Stanley Dealer Bulletin number 163, dated 6/29/21, describes the installation of the new cylinder oil atomizer and the need for it for proper atomization of the steam cylinder oil. Stanley Dealer Bulletin number 142 dated 4/15/21 describes the installation of the atomizer as such: "An atomizer is placed at the top of the steam pipe loop and is so designed, by means of an extension into the steam pipe, that the oil is atomized in the steam and emulsified with it, thus eliminating adhesion to the walls of the steam pipe. The atomizer bears the word "Front", and it should be screwed into the steam pipe loop with the word "Front" towards the condenser. I am sold in need one of these. Has anyone seen this device? If so, what does it look like?

Re: Steam Cylinder oil atomizer
Posted by: BillB (IP Logged)
Date: September 01, 2013 03:34PM

The fitting that threads onto your steam loop fastened on the inside of that fitting. It extends about a half inch and has a slot in it. If I can find one here I'll take a picture and post it. Bill

Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: September 01, 2013 03:55PM

I think there is info on this in the Stanley Museums Quarterly,,,,
maybee by Ole Vikre,,,Its called a QUILL,,,Cheers Ben

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: September 01, 2013 04:16PM

I have never seen a Stanley oil atomizer, however I have always used what I call a Fountain pen design quill on all my oil feeds on both my boats and cars. It’s nothing more then a short piece of tube shaped like the Fountain pen quill centered in the steam line. The only photo I could find is the one I made for my 1920 Stanley when I installed the Derr boiler. The fitting was made for the oil line to enter at the engine and at a right angle to the steam line so there was no need for a slot in the quill. I have used this design for the last fifty years. The side hole on the upper Tee is for the thermo probe to monitor the superheat at the engine.
Rolly

Attachments: oil Fitting.jpg (54.6KB)  

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.