SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley Smoke Hood Insulation
Posted by: Peter Turvey (IP Logged)
Date: November 29, 2013 05:28PM

Any thoughts as to the number of layers of 1/8" fiberfrax (or equivalent - I bought a roll of 3mm Kaowool 1260 ceramic paper) to put on a coffin nosed stanley smoke hood? I am finally getting round to putting permanent insulation on to our 607.

There is about 7/8" clearance at most between the front of the hood and the smoke hood.

I will put one layer on the inside of the hood itself.

Re: Stanley Smoke Hood Insulation
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: November 30, 2013 03:13PM

Peter
I put two layers on the inside of my hood. And three layers around the top of my boiler smoke hood.
Rolly

Re: Stanley Smoke Hood Insulation
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: November 30, 2013 05:06PM

For my boiler's smoke bonnets surface area, I like using "Dip Lag" the best. There is no substitute for Dip Lag. It is just that good. For a single walled smoke bonnet, I would use three layers of Dip Lag on the surface. For a double walled smoke bonnet, two layers of Dip Lag works best. Inside surface of the coffin nosed hood, I find that two layers of your 1/8" Fiberfrax insulating board works well. I glue the insulating board to the inside of the hood using Weldwood Contact cement. It takes a lot of work to correctly repaint the coffin nosed hood of a Stanley. Insulate under the hood properly and you won't have to repaint the hood too soon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.