SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley Outings
Posted by: jschoenly (IP Logged)
Date: June 20, 2014 06:37PM

Spent the evening on a run for Ice Cream with the Marshall Team and thought I'd start a thread on outings, big or small. Since I work about midway between Auburn Heights and my home, I head straight from work if I'm going for the evening and generally arrive early. When Tom arrived and started off working on the K, I wondered up to watch and learn. I ended up riding with Tom for our Ice Cream outing and helping as needed from lighting the pilot until she was blown down for the evening.

The K is certainly a great experience to ride. We took the shorter route and stopped for some gas on the way. The car performed nicely on mainly 1 pump and the center of the burner. The full 3 jets were only on for portions of the trip and had an easy time keeping steam.

I had run a 740 in the past and bought my 740 project having not actually been in a steamer for a good number of years. It was a delightful time learning the ins and outs of the K with Tom and picking his and the others brains. I was bit by the steam bug at an early age and grow more excited about my project daily (which the boiler is due to arrive next week to continue). Thanks Tom and Crew for a great little outing!

Attachments: 20140619_182854.jpg (528.9KB)   20140619_183748.jpg (697.7KB)   20140619_190212.jpg (915KB)   20140619_201451.jpg (505.4KB)  
Re: Stanley Outings
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: June 20, 2014 09:51PM

Jared
Thanks for showing us the K and it’s running well with the new burner.
The last time I was there the burner casting was on the bench. If you can get us a photo of the front showing the three tube burner.
Rolly

Posted by: Kelly (IP Logged)
Date: June 22, 2014 11:54PM

Thanks for writing about this, Jared. This was the K's first trip on the road after installation and sorting of the 3-nozzle burner. We Auburn Heights-ers are pretty proud of that, as I believe it's the only operational 3-nozzle burner of the original Stanley design.

And we're privileged beyond measure to spend time with Tom Marshall. Close to 70 years' experience driving and maintaining Stanleys - I never fail to be impressed.

It was a perfect night for an Ice Cream Run - come volunteer with us and come along on the next one!

Kelly

[www.AuburnHeights.org]

Posted by: Peter Turvey (IP Logged)
Date: July 14, 2014 08:15PM

Went to the Atwell Wilson Motor Museum classic car show yesterday, just 13 miles down the road from home, and our Model 607 was voted best car in show!

Link to photo of our car at the show [flic.kr]

Museum Website [www.atwellwilson.org.uk]

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: July 15, 2014 03:26AM

Dear Peter, You well deserved the best car of the show award. Your 1914 Stanley model 607 touring is really beautiful.

Posted by: Peter Turvey (IP Logged)
Date: August 08, 2014 04:20PM

Took our 1914 Model 607 to the Great War 100 commemeration at Brooklands race track in the UK. She held her own against some Edwardian racing cars in the race starts - wonder if a Stanley has ever been on the Brooklands Banking before?

Nice video here - scroll to 12:19 and 13:38 in.

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2014 04:25PM by Peter Turvey.

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: August 08, 2014 05:02PM

Dear Peter, Nice video of your model 607 touring out strutting its stuff. It looked to be a fun day for all. You have done wonders on your 607 since you had first purchased it. Now that all of the restoration work is done, it would be very easy to sell it. The last 607 like yours that I had seen sold, it sold two years ago for about $150,000.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.