SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
H5- project -- Paint vs powder coat for wheel rings
Posted by: laheyth (IP Logged)
Date: July 23, 2014 12:07AM

I am getting ready to paint my wheels, and have the wood with 2 coats of CEPS and ready for primer.....am thinking about powder coat for the outer type B removable rings so they are more durable.....Any experience with that idea or is paint tough enough?
I would have some concern about color match as well.
Tom

Re: H5- project -- Paint vs powder coat for wheel rings
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: July 23, 2014 03:51AM

Powder coat is very durable for the wheel side rings. On my 1914 Stanley which are not as early as your H5, I have always nickel plated them. It really dresses the car up. Originally, the removable side rings were cadmium plated on the cars that originally came with side rings. Removable side rings first appeared only on the Stanleys in 1912 of the 20 and 30 hp model cars. With your H5 being earlier than 1912, powder coating in a matching color would be your best choice as to not draw any attention to your removable side rings. My source of wheel information for Stanley cars is the Stanley Season Catalogs.

Posted by: laheyth (IP Logged)
Date: July 24, 2014 07:28PM

HI Pat,
I reviewed colors in an earlier post of yours regarding paint colors.
Is the correct wheel color/undercarriage for the H5 a John Deere yellow or a pale yellow?

I see both on H5's....kinda like the pale yellow.

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: July 24, 2014 08:57PM

Tom
I have never used power coating. The only thing I know about it is watching some of the motorcycle custom build sites. They have had their issue with the final color after the heat cure. I think the only way to do it is paint five of six shades on test plates and see which one comes out to your liking.
When I painted my under carriage on my 1906 EX I started with original wheels that had enough original paint on the back of the brake drums after removing the wheels. I took one to an auto paint dealer to have the original paint tested with a computer. I have to say I am no good at selecting a color. There are five John Deere yellows colors. The one they selected and I used the can is marked TY25641 Ag/C&CE yellow paint.

I believe the H would have used clincher rims. If your not going original I think I would have the ring plated. There is no way paint is not going to chip removing the ring. The ring and rimes could be painted black and the wood yellow. I notice a lot of cars have ½ inch of the edge of the rim painted black so it can be touched up after fixing a flat.

Rolly

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: July 24, 2014 11:41PM

According to Don Bourdon, the pale yellow running gear was usually found on the 30 HP cars. The brighter yellow would be more correct for your car.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.