SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
H5 Project -Rear axle
Posted by: laheyth (IP Logged)
Date: August 17, 2014 12:35AM

This project car was built by Greene in Tennessee at least 12-15 yr ago.
I have a body,not sure who built it, both axles, many parts....no prints.
I will include a few photos to show the status of things.
My short term goal is to get the axles together and the car on wheels.
Th rear axle has disc brakes at the center gear, not strap brakes.
I have strap brakes as well that I assume would have gone on the center drums.
My immediate questions are:
1)anybody have details of the end of axle seal arrangement? I envison about a 3/8 inch disc machined for a grease seal.
2) are the brake drums 2 in. wide on a 20 hp car?
The concern I have is the protruding axle stub is not long enough to put things together....I have 2 inch wide brake drums, I estimate about a 1/8 gap between the axle housing and the brake drum hub,I still have to bore the brake drums for the short shaft taper(.750 long),so I am looking for some dimensional help.

Tom

Attachments: view of shaft taper and drum.jpg (443.5KB)   End of rear axle showing 4 holes for dust cover.jpg (446.5KB)   Disc brakes on Differential.jpg (462.8KB)   h5 001.jpg (448.7KB)  
Re: H5 Project -Rear axle
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: August 17, 2014 01:45PM

Tom
The H5 was 1907-08 the engines were dry. As far as I could tell there was no seals in any of the original rear ends I took apart. The out side brakes were parking brakes, bronze shoes on stamped steel drums. The drums were 1.75 outside to outside. The shoe was 1.400 wide. When I built mine I used sealed ball bearings. The type that can take end thrust. When I put the wheels on it preloads both the inside and outside bearing so there is no endplay in the axel and the gears at the differential. I also bonded brake lining to my brake shoes.
Rolly
If I were to build another early car like the H5 I think I would use a 1914 or a 735 rear axel

Attachments: outside brake .JPG (172.1KB)  
Posted by: laheyth (IP Logged)
Date: August 17, 2014 11:32PM

That helps, Rolly, if I machine the drums from 2.0 wide to 1.75 that matches better with the 1.5 wide brake shoe.,,,then I should have about 3/4 extra for the washer and nut that hold the axle on .

What centers the outboard brake shoe insde the drum?....just sitting on the actuator shaft? and the two flat pieces?

Attachments: parts for outboard brake.jpg (459.5KB)  
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: August 18, 2014 12:04PM

What centers the outboard brake shoe insde the drum?....just sitting on the actuator shaft? and the two flat pieces?

Yes Tom it sits on the actuator shaft and is centered with the two flat plates. The holes in the plates should be elongated to allows for adjustment.
Rolly

Attachments: Brake acturator.jpg (82.1KB)  

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.