SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Steam Engine
Posted by: EBG (IP Logged)
Date: September 19, 2014 09:39PM

Does anyone recognize this engine? The owner thinks I is out of a steam car. Compund, about 3 1/2 x 2 with a 5" stroke. Enclosed sheet metal crankcase with slide in inspection covers.

Attachments: DSCF0450.JPG (575.7KB)  
Re: Steam Engine
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: September 20, 2014 03:50PM

Eric
It looks much like a Dillon steam car engine. It would have had aluminum cover over the cylinders.
Rolly

Date: September 20, 2014 04:36PM

I looked at the sources I have, no info on Dillon, only that they were in business in 1920. Do you have any photos? Thanks

Date: September 20, 2014 04:41PM

Yes I have a book with a photo of the engine. I just can’t remember what book and where it is amongst all my stuff.
I’ve been looking.
Rolly

Date: September 20, 2014 05:26PM

Thanks Rolly, I looked in the obvious places: Oldtime Steam Cars, The Modern Steam Car and its Background, Clymer's Steam Car Scrapbook,and Steam Cars 1770-1970.
Thanks for looking,
Eric

Date: September 20, 2014 07:17PM

Found it Eric
Light steam Power July-August-September 1977
Page 177
I spelled the name wrong it’s Delling 1923
But I’ve seen it somewhere ales as well.
Rolly

[www.bing.com]

[www.virtualsteamcarmuseum.org]

Date: September 21, 2014 04:20PM

Thanks Rolly,

It looks like the Delling is close, but maybe not quite it. The engine here is a compound, and I don't think the 2 cylinder Delling is.

I did find a little about the Dillon though it dosn't seem to be a match either. Curtis H. Dillon did form a company (1919-1920) to make steam engines for tractors, trucks and automobiles using his patented engine design. [www.google.com]
Don't know if they actually made any.
Eric

Date: September 21, 2014 05:14PM

Yes Eric the cylinders on your photo look homemade and rather crude, but I also have seen Stanley engines made into compounds. Coburn Benson has one.
Delling made both two cylinder engine and later three cylinder engines.
Rolly

Date: September 22, 2014 11:19PM

Good point Rolly,
The entire cylinder block looks a bit cobbled together, not as nice workmanship as elsewhere on the engine. The cylinder bottom is a casting, and the cylinders are individual sleeves. The heads are made out of squares of stock. The entire assembly is loose at this time, and the sleeves move up and down with the rotation of the crank. Don't know what kind of valves it has, maybe piston? Might try to take a closer look, and more photos this coming weekend.
Eric

Date: September 23, 2014 12:10AM

Eric
It looks like a single valve to control a two cylinder compound engine most likely a wolf designed valve much like a Doble, but I’m only guessing. The Doble F engine was a two cylinder 90 degree compound.
Have fun with it.
Rolly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2014 08:25AM by Rolly.

Attachments: Doble E Valve and sleeve.jpg (91.7KB)   Correct position.jpg (65.1KB)  

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.