SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley top bow profile
Posted by: Peter Turvey (IP Logged)
Date: November 13, 2014 05:34PM

The new top bows for our 1914 Stanley 607 have been laminated without any rise, ie the top section is flat (& not slightly curved upward). Now understand that a flat bow is probably not correct, anyone know how much the rise in the centre should be? Might be possible to salvage them by adding a shaped section to the top of each bow!

Re: Stanley top bow profile
Posted by: jschoenly (IP Logged)
Date: November 13, 2014 11:45PM

Hi Peter,

While my 735 is 5 years newer, I took some rough measurements. The bows are original and are in really great condition. On the 3 middle bows, using a straight line of between 36-40" long, there appears to be a pretty consistent 1/2-3/4" arch in them. This was really quick and dirty, but if it helps I can try to get more accurate measurements. The material was dry and most is off/gone before I got the car so I have good access to the bows themselves at the moment.

Hope that helps some! Let me know!

Jared

Posted by: Peter Turvey (IP Logged)
Date: November 14, 2014 09:35AM

Thanks Jared, that's very useful, we can put a riser strip on top of the bows to sort this mistake.

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: November 15, 2014 06:26AM

I think that Jared is spot on with his measurements on his 735. If you do not have a crown to your top bows, if caught in the rain, the water will pool on your top while the 607 sits waiting for your return.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.