SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
What cars/trucks can tour with the steam club guys.
Posted by: Arnold Walker (IP Logged)
Date: November 26, 2014 04:18PM

Still working on my turbine ideas,saw some vintage cars that are more plentiful like the Model T/A.And thinking that keep everything pretty much vintage except for what was under the hood.Maybe do like other club members in the past by steam-a-fying something wasn't a Stanley,etc. And still fit in with looks if I ever showed up at a meet.Nacogdoches,Texas is the oldest antique car town in the US.And
the annual event is 200+ Model T's so I fit in in my hometown as well.Though they do look down on anybody looking under hood of something that has 15hp engine missing....you to have park in the rod section at public shows.

Re: What cars/trucks can tour with the steam club guys.
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: November 27, 2014 04:07AM

A SACA, Inc road tour allows anything that is licensed, roadworthy and insured. Modern built steam cars are welcome to join into their tours. Recently we had a joint tour with both the HCCA and SACA and the limit to the steam cars was vintage steam cars only. That is a factory produced model as originally built. We had seven steam cars attending. The newest was a 1922 Stanley touring. The parameters of a steam car tour is usually set by the SACA chapter putting the tour on. The discussions on the SACA, INC. forum lean to using a modern running gear for your modern steam power plant. Steering, brakes, safety glass, and so on really enhance the cars use over say a model T Ford chassis.

Posted by: Arnold Walker (IP Logged)
Date: November 27, 2014 07:43PM

At this point much of what I was experimenting with was looking ...well.
Hope Mike Brown with using a quote from his ad....Our 2-cylinder 3 horsepower steam engine will provide 1500 watts of electrical power and over 100,000 BTUs of exhaust heat.
My part is figuring out what to do with that 100,000 BTUs exhaust heat.In theory
( and seem to have over 200 years of them that did or didn't pan out).
A guy in the areas Mike is saling to for home/business generation upgrade with 7.5
hp turbine( at least what my victorian steam upgrade looks like at this point) and run 4500watts on the same steamrates.The turbine rev's fast enough to be direct drive on automotive alternator.So you have 10.5hp generator without the cost of changing pretty everything out.
The club stuff is field testing the idea with folks,that might know a thing or too about what you are doing.
And figuring out projects that do both...steam isn't the only folks that have waste heat.So it wouldn't hurt my feeling if I could figure out how to the same thing on that show hot rod waste heat recovery.And it well enough performance buffs wouldn't twice about dropping one of the engines off that twin engine mega blown T-rod.And steam section that would drop in the hole for front engine and raditor (probably take a helicopter engine to do that like a 800hp twin pac with a 200hp boiler).Something tells me that unless it
is like the boiler on the Cyclone engine.The wheels and frame would flatten under the wieght.
Oh well,too many dreams and not enough to show at the moment.
All started with the fact I don't like running my steamboat at the lake Catfishing.Then it sits at the house idle...instead of generating power or something where it is used.And when it is you are better off runing the generator, than the Utility/shore power.
Hell, if the car was that fuel efficent probably have PTO drive for the generator as well.

Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: December 18, 2014 11:57PM

Cato Lake,,Uncertain Texas,,Graceful Ghost,boat,time of Twain
music by Kevan McLeod,,
""Graceful Ghost"" 3 good clips if you can find em
Well worth the chase,,Let me know if you enjoy this
Do you find the 3 or more clips,,Original music by
Kevin MacLeod
Cheers,,Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2014 12:35AM by Ben.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.