SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
SACA/NE Time Trials
Posted by: Mike Clark (IP Logged)
Date: August 24, 2002 06:41PM

<HTML>George Nutz mentioned being busy with SACA runway time trials - sounds great - please can we see some pictures and any results/times/speeds etc.
This is just the sort of thing the website could do well.

Mike Clark</HTML>

Re: SACA/NE Time Trials
Posted by: David K. Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: August 24, 2002 07:17PM

<HTML>Data and pictures will be posted on NorthEast pages of SACA site in near future.</HTML>

Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: August 24, 2002 07:50PM

<HTML>Mike,
I have not yet finished the complete report and all the data and will try and finalize it in the next few weeks---SACA/NE officers have been handed a prelimenary copy so they will have it for the SACA/NTL meet in a few weeks. How detailed I will get is dependent upon how much room is allowed for the local newsletter, it will be presented to the club for vote of acceptance to be put on the national webpage, this is our standard operating proceedure as no articles will be posted on our SACA/NTL site unless voted upon. Unfortunately, being stuck at the starting line all day I did not have time to take any pictures but believe several others did. Some amazing data and we also had a radar gun to measure finish line speeds. I could write up a separate page for this website as I was in charge of this event and have all the data.
Some of the old Stanleys can certainly move off the line!!
Best, George</HTML>

Posted by: Mike Clark (IP Logged)
Date: August 25, 2002 08:44AM

<HTML>David , George

Can't wait!

So often steam car people write about how terrific their acceleration is and how some unfortunate explosion engine car was defeated but we never see any real figures - hope we will either here on on the SACA site.

Looking forward to it.

Mike</HTML>

Posted by: Darrel Kendall (IP Logged)
Date: September 17, 2002 10:37PM

<HTML>Are the races open to anybody? Is their more than one race a year?What kind of car win's a race like that?</HTML>

Posted by: David K Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: September 17, 2002 10:45PM

<HTML>These trials were for members of the NorthEast chpter of SACA and their invited guests. They have been held only twice, and only at the August meeting. Almost any steamer in good running order might win; this year's winner was a 4400 pound 20 hp. condensing car, mine.</HTML>

Posted by: Darrel Kendall (IP Logged)
Date: September 17, 2002 10:56PM

<HTML>I thought the big steam race was in danville an everybody was invited. I heard their was some real fast times.Maybe I'm wrong.Do the races pay anything?</HTML>

Date: September 18, 2002 03:41PM

<HTML>Darrel,
The time trials at the national SACA meet do have prizes, think $1,000 is for first prize. Believe the fastest time so far for a steamer is 12+seconds for the 1/8th mile done by a Vanderbilt replica with a 30" firetube boiler. As Dave has mentioned our local meet is a private affair but each member can bring one guest. No local prizes, just lots of fun, food and praise. Believe we have a car in the SACA/NE arsenal that could do a sub 10 seconds but it was not running at that time---that would be on a slight uphill paved runway and a possible 75mph at the finish for that car. Dave Nergaard's time of 14.64 was very impressive for his heavy 735"M" Stanley.
Best, George</HTML>

Posted by: Pat Farrell (IP Logged)
Date: September 19, 2002 03:59AM

<HTML>OK, I'll bite. A 735 "E" is for a roadster. Then what body style is a 735 "M"? M for manufactured?</HTML>

Date: September 19, 2002 10:26AM

<HTML>Pat,
Dave mentioned he would like it listed as an "M" as it has a Gibson body and many of his modifications---M is for modifications!!!
:0) George</HTML>

Posted by: Bill Barnes (IP Logged)
Date: October 04, 2002 10:41PM

<HTML>The winning time was 12.1 George has all the other details right.I would like to see that 10 second car run. Maybee next year. Bill</HTML>

Date: October 05, 2002 10:21AM

<HTML>Bill,
Congratulations on winning the SACA/National time trials with your 12.1 seconds, your Vanderbilt must have been feeling up to snuff!! The best time for our SACA/NE time trials was Dave Nergaard with a 14.64 seconds. We were disappointed that Coburn was not there(our supposed 10 second car?) or Craig Standbridge with his very light and very fast Chevy S-10 pickup conversion. Our local results have just come out in our local newsletter so maybe now something can be posted on this website. I am disappointed that the SACA website had no picture or mention of your winning time or even running---you should have been on the website starting page.
Congrats, George</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.