SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
More 740 Questions
Posted by: Marksteamnz (IP Logged)
Date: February 20, 2015 03:25AM

Lifted everything out of the pump pit so I can mount all the bits levelled and aligned on a piece of plate. The plate will be threaded where required as the existing holes are pretty oval and the tail rod support opposite the fuel pump had been having it's own party separate from the rest of the bits. i.e. Replace 3 missing bolts and rebush.
Raised a couple of questions
How do you fill the lubricators? The plunger ones (picture) I'm guessing are unthreaded, the nipple submerged in oil or grease, the plunger pulled up and held up with some sort of spacer until it's full. Then after screwing it back in place remove the spacer. Yes, no cigar?

With the pumps out I could get the tank out.
Is the return from the condenser supposed to be flattened as per the picture or should it be a straight round tube? The pipe on top is that standard and if so what is it's function.
Cheers
Mark

Attachments: IMG_0208_web.jpg (116KB)   IMG_0206_web.jpg (155.4KB)  
Re: More 740 Questions
Posted by: jschoenly (IP Logged)
Date: February 20, 2015 12:41PM

I'll have to take a look at my 740 tank so see about the flattened pipe from the condensor. If you are asking about the threaded pip on the top corner above that, that is the fill pipe from the siphon. The funny tee fitting on the end is the siphon with steam entering straight in line with the pipe to the tank and pulling water from the downward pipe with the valve.

I really need to get to work on my car once it warms up a little above 0....

1919 Stanley 735B Original Car
1922 Stanley Sedan Project
1930 Pontiac Coupe
1933 Ford Stake Body
Whatever else I can get into trouble with....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2015 12:41PM by jschoenly.

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: February 20, 2015 04:09PM

Mark, the flattened return pipe is correct as from the factory. My 735 B is the same as yours. On my grease cup, it has a little hinged keeper that locks the plunger up while filling. After installing the grease cup back, the keeper is released and it is on their own. On my 606 there isn't a keeper but it looks the same as yours. No spring in it either. I fill it and put it into place. It self feeds by gravity and it isn't long before I have to add more grease. The grease hangs around for quite a while after the grease cup is empty so I don't worry too much about it.

Posted by: Marksteamnz (IP Logged)
Date: February 20, 2015 08:48PM

Many thanks I'll plumb the syphon up and fit an easier to access hose fitting. My oilers are spring loaded but no clip/keeper to hold them open so I'll get something suitable machined up.
With the nearest condenser Stanley (also the only other operational condenser in New Zealand) 4 hours drive away it's a bit of a hike to have a quick look at some feature.
Once again many thanks for the info I'm grateful for the help.

Cheers
Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.