SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Packing of Stanley threaded boiler fitting and introduction...
Posted by: Mikkel Posselt (IP Logged)
Date: February 27, 2015 06:32PM

Hello All
This is my first posting here on the Phorum. I has just now been able to sign on with the kind assistance from Alex Beam!

A few lines about me: I am a mechanic engineer, and has all my life worked in my spare time with steam in the form of locomotives and steam rollers. Beside that, I have a few old cars like Ford 1914 and Buick Marquette. In 2005, me and my good friend Per Nielsen got involved with the Danish Technical Museums Conrad 1902 steam car which we gave a refurbishment, and since then kept running and demonstrates from time to time.
Two years ago, I got the chance to aquire a (long desired) Stanley 735A. It was running but shortly after I decided (after a mishap with low water) to fit a new boiler. That`s where I am now, working on the installation of a new Don Bourdon 18" boiler and all what this involves regarding pipework, overhaul of all automatics, steering box, condenser and fitting of an oil separator..
I have already had much help by seaching the phorum, and I hope somebody will help from time to time with specific questions....
Right now I will like to hear what you are using for sealing the tapered NPT threads on the various steel fitting srewed into the boiler? - are you using only liquid sealer - and which ones - or also hemp or something like that?

With the best regards
Mikkel Posselt, 735A 1919
Denmark

Re: Packing of Stanley threaded boiler fitting and introduction...
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: February 27, 2015 07:14PM

Dear Mikkel, Hopefully the 18" that you refer to is the height of the new Bourdon boiler instead of its diameter. 23" diameter was the original diameter of the 735A boiler. I have been using a high temperature pipe sealer recommended by Rolly Evans posted somewhere earlier on this forum. It works well. However, amazing as it may sound, Teflon pipe thread tape works well too. I have lately been using that too. It is amazing in that one would not expect Teflon tape to take the heat, but it has been doing just that. It was recommended to me by a few of the old timers in steam like Brent Campbell.

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: February 27, 2015 07:32PM

I am not at home right now so I can’t give you any brand names, but I still use the high temp pipe sealant on fittings that I don’t expect to take apart. On all the fitting I take apart on a yearly bases for winterizing, I use a 2900F anti cease. It seems to work as good as the pipe sealant. I also use it on all the brass tubing nuts that I have to disconnect like the feed water connection at the boiler check for winterizing. I use it on all the brass and stainless tubing nuts and any thing I know I’m going to take apart.
Rolly

Date: February 28, 2015 08:42PM

Yes, it is a 23"x18" boiler ;)

I was hoping that somebody could recomend a brandname for a high temp sealer because I am just about buy some now..

I too has the been brought up with the habbit of never assemble a thread dry! - so I do already use a high temp lube on the flares, flare nut cones and threads.

But it is for the threads that I don't expect to take apart for a long time - the elbows and other fittings with NPT going into the boiler tube sheets upper and lower.

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: February 28, 2015 08:58PM

An earlier thread on the thread sealer can be found at:[stanleysteamers.com]

Date: February 28, 2015 09:07PM

Thank you, Pat - I shall be better at searching in the existing threads before I ask!!
I will find out if the mentioned brandnames are available around here...

Best regards
Mikkel, Denmark

Date: March 02, 2015 03:24PM

They must have changed their products
I don’t see the high temperature and pressure stuff I have at home.
Rolly

Date: March 02, 2015 03:43PM

I found two that could be used with steam fitting 600 PSI saturated temp 486F
High temperature pipe sealant.
Loctite 5770 High Temperature Thread Sealant
Top Pick Loctite® 5770™ Thread Sealant is designed to seal threaded pipe fittings in applications requiring continuous heat resistance up to 530° F (277° C). Ideal for applications in pressurized steam lines and boiler rooms.
DEACON 770-P
200°F to 950°F
Paste Sealant. Heat Curing Compound, Fibered Peanut Butter Consistency, High Chemical Tolerance, Trowel on or Caulk.
FOR USE ON:Turbine Split Casing, Pump Casing, Boilers: Doors, Stacks, Flanges, Heat Exchangers, Any Metal-to-Metal Joints, Leaking Gaskets, Threaded Fittings, Steam Traps, Sight Glasses, Nuts & Bolts, Gasket Dressings, Segmented Gaskets.

Date: March 02, 2015 07:22PM

High temperature pipe sealant
Hear is another one high pressure and very high temperature.
Rolly

GRAFOIL® GTS® graphite thread sealant paste is a patented, high-purity paste made from a combination of nuclear grade graphite and a nuclear quality petroleum-based carrier. It has all the characteristics required for long-life performance, even under the most severe conditions. GTS® paste is made to seal small diameter, close tolerance threaded pipe joints in critical service applications to 635°C (1175°F) and 16MPa (2300 psi).
[graftechaet.com]

Date: March 02, 2015 07:39PM

Hi Rolly.

Thank you for the hints - I have in the meantime looked at this one:

Rocol Steam Sealant - graphite manganese up 28ooPSi and 600 Celcius

[www.rocol.com]

It seems to be quite similar in function to the ones you have searched? - and it is convinient for me to buy. What do you think?

b/r
Mikkel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.