SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Insulation Sources for Supplies
Posted by: jschoenly (IP Logged)
Date: March 16, 2015 11:39PM

I have the new boiler home and it's a dandy. I'm working on cleaning the front end of the chassis for the install and trying to get all my supplies together. So A few questions came up:

What are some good sources for insulation, loose fiber for mudding up, finishing cloth, etc??

I found a roll of 1/8" fiberfrax "paper" as they call it on eBay so that is on the way. For mudding joints, is it mineral wool that is preferred? It only listed temps of 800 deg F but I thought I've heard most mentioning it for use.

McMaster has the finishing cloth in 60" wide as well as 1", 2" and a few others in a tape. Probably not the cheapest, but it has an excellent convenience factor.

Also, what are owners preference for boiler wrapping? I'm deciding between a metal wrap over the insulation or a (hopefully) well executed finishing cloth wrap. I don't recall what is "proper" or at least as close to factory for a 1919 735.

Thanks for any input!

Re: Insulation Sources for Supplies
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: March 17, 2015 02:13PM

Look for a good local supply house for boiler refractory or boiler insulating supply house.
I bet you have one within 50 miles. I only use Fiberfrax products. They make everything you need.
Or go on line.
Rolly
[www.thermalproductsco.com]

Posted by: Kelly (IP Logged)
Date: March 17, 2015 03:51PM

"Rewettable cloth" is another good pair of search words for the DipLag.

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: March 17, 2015 04:42PM

E J Bartells supplies most all of my refractory needs. Their locations are found in:
• Anchorage, Alaska
• Arlington, Washington
• Billings, Montana
• Denver, Colorado
• Eugene, Oregon
• Portland, Oregon
• Renton, Washington
• Corporate: Renton, Washington
• Salt Lake City, Utah
• Spokane, Washington
• Bismarck, North Dakota

Find them on the web at: [ejbartells.com]

Re: Insulation Sources for Supplies - Vintage Steam Products
Posted by: Don Hoke (IP Logged)
Date: March 18, 2015 01:16AM

Good Evening, All!

Vintage Steam Products carries a range of insulating products for steam cars and other uses such as pottery kilns.

We stock Diplag, Fiberfrax, Flexweave Tape, and Caulk. The web site is www.vintagesteamproducts.com.

Call us at (972) 661-9672 if you have questions.

I just bought 50 pounds of refractory cement to use on my Cruban burner and will have plenty to share.

VSP also stocks a wide variety of fittings, flare nuts, valve packing, branch fork washers, whistle valves, tank tags, etc.

I also have some condensing car pumps, gauges, etc. that came from various sources and which I will not be using. Tell me what you need!

It is spring! Time to get those steamers on the road!

Carolyn fills all orders within 24 to 48 hours.

Very best wishes!

Don & Carolyn Hoke

Wanted: Parts for 1924 Stanley Model 750 and 1925 Stanley Model SV 252. We buy steam car parts and literature. Visit the virtual steam car museum at www.virtualsteamcarmuseum.org.

For all your steam car needs, visit www.vintagesteamproducts.com.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.