SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
740 problem
Posted by: Marksteamnz (IP Logged)
Date: September 24, 2015 09:07AM

I have been making steady progress on the overhaul of my roadster. Some things I have farmed out as I am not set up to do some of the sheet metal work.

I had tacked together with my arc welded the profile cut outside of the burner housing (1.2mm stainless) face down on a former and secured it in place with a series of linked worn drive hose clamps. I then needed the oval base (640x680mm)of the burner housing rolled to a curve and tig welded in place. I marked the placement plus how the short axis fitted and I explained how it was vital it bowed up.
Went to pick it up after they phoned. The had welded it curved INTO the outer wall like the worlds largest chassis punch. Ie Curved the wrong way and welded at 90 degrees to the positioning marks.

They are going to cut it free flip and rotate it.
Then they had the unmitigated gall to complain about another part I was having done, because it was tacked together, but not the way they would assemble it.
Right. Of course. I tacked it the way my usual welder wants it, (he doesn't have rolling gear) and It was tacked by ME as I didn't want any "misunderstandings" I really wish I could have tacked the burner housing in place.
I think I need to buy more of my own gear. I can always put it back on the market later.
Feeling pretty ticked at the world

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2015 06:33PM by Marksteamnz.

Re: 740 problem
Posted by: laheyth (IP Logged)
Date: September 24, 2015 10:25PM

sorry to hear......

Date: September 25, 2015 09:01AM

Well,it looks like they bit the bullet and completely replaced the bottom section with a correctly rolled piece. Much happier! Off to fettle in the shed over the weekend.
Lesson learned, again. With what it's cost me in $ and agravation I must remember "buy the gear and do it yourself"

Cheers
Mark

Posted by: dickcars99 (IP Logged)
Date: November 01, 2015 04:28AM

Hi Mark
What is the latest on the 740 ?
Cheers
Dick

Date: November 01, 2015 08:17AM

Hi Dick it feels like one step forward one step back. The New burner plenum while finally welded correctly used a piece of 316 that was slightly the wrong shape it looked fine but off the jig it went oval. I am waiting on a 3mm stiffening ring to weld on to the top edge to hold it circular. Smoke hood is mostly there just needs insulation and hold down tags. Next week I hopefuly will get in to pyrotek to get the necessary fibrefrax.
Painting has been the pits. First company took five weeks to do the bonnet, did do a good job but bloody expensive. Decided to try a local company on the fuel tank and 6 weeks in they have now sent the job to their other branch 60km away. Next week. Yeah right.
I have been busy but as soon as I can get space I will finish the pump mounting plate on the mill,and get it back into the pump pit. Need to buy a new parting off blade holder as I am using David Nerguards design of o ring poppets and have to custom grind a tool.
How is your Derr boiler rebuild going? Have you contacted David Dixon with the 735 in Waihi or Nigel Weber in Cambridge?
Cheers
Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.