SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Recent Website and Phorum Problems
Posted by: beamersteamer (IP Logged)
Date: November 07, 2015 11:58PM

A few days ago the steamcar forum would not open correctly from stanleysteamers.com. I fixed this problem by going into Phorum administration and resetting the phorum settings. I think some of the software instructions had gotten corrupted and this caused the phorum not to open when the correct phorum address was put into the internet browser.

The forum came back, but most people could not post to it. It turns out when I reset the phorum settings some of them had changed. In particular most people could not create posts or reply to posts. I have corrected these problems and hopefully we are back to normal.

When I opened my steamcar phorum page, all the posting were marked as new. I found I could go to the bottom of the page and push a button that said mark messages as read. This took away the new designation for each posting.

I am an amateur at working with the backend of websites. I am learning what I need to as I am being presented with new challenges. It is much like working with my Stanley Steamer.

A number of you have contacted Pat Farrell when this site is not working correctly. He then passes on the request for a fix to me. Please feel free to contact me directly by email, alexbeamer@comcast.net or by phone 503-910-1570. I will do my best to keep this stanleysteamers site and the steamcar site working well. Let me know if you would like any additional information added. I have a son who is a website developer and can assist me when I get stuck.

I will attach a screenshot of what the phorum settings look like. If you see some setting that should be different, please let me know.

Thanks,
Alex Beamer (BeamerSteamer)
Salem, Oregon

Attachments: steamcar Phorum settings 11-7-15.jpg (266.6KB)  
Re: Recent Website and Phorum Problems
Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: November 08, 2015 01:14AM

Alex,,We all appreciate your work on this
I had worried a foreign hacker had got us,,,
Just for fun,,,would the quiet balcony chime in?
Just so we have an idea of "readersip" we have??
All for now,,Ben

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: November 08, 2015 01:27AM

Alex, Thank you ever so much for taking the time to fix the forum. I deleted the "forum posting test" thread. SSsssteamer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2015 01:30AM by SSsssteamer.

Date: November 09, 2015 12:45AM

Now Alex Nov 7 page has 4 drop down ads for Bisquick cake mix
or do I have a bot/virus,,,,??,,Ben
This post marked 12;15pm has the bisquick/cherrios ad in the forum,,
but NOT here on the edit box,,,,now ya see it now ya don't CB

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2015 01:32PM by Ben.

Date: November 09, 2015 03:15AM

Ben I do not see any ads on my phorum pages. Does anyone else see ads?
Thanks,
Alex Beamer

Date: November 09, 2015 01:18PM

Eight fifteen on Monday,,the bisquick/cheerios drop down is on the above
message box,,,Appears I can log in and post tho,,,Ben
[Note date stamp is 1;18pm,,,while its 8;25am now]cb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2015 01:24PM by Ben.

Posted by: Kelly (IP Logged)
Date: November 09, 2015 08:58PM

I don't see any advertisements - the phorum looks like it always did.

Kelly

Date: November 09, 2015 09:05PM

I'm just noticing that I can't view page 1 of the "Ben's Vanderbilt Cup Racer" thread. I can see other threads, and page 1 of other multi-page threads. Curious...

Date: November 09, 2015 09:22PM

We will get Alex onto it.

Date: November 12, 2015 06:29PM

I cant open the racers page,,but looks like cam post here,,Will
push the "post" butto now,,,Ben

Date: November 13, 2015 04:54AM

Ben
I had the same problem you and Kelly mentioned. I was not able to open page one of the Ben's Vanderbilt Cup Racer message thread. I could open page two. I tried for hours the last couple of days to find what I could do to fix the problem but no luck.
Tonight I tried again and page one of Ben's Vanderbilt Cup Racer just opened right up. I tried several times and it kept working.
Alex Beamer

Date: November 13, 2015 04:58AM

I was concerned that the time stamp on our postings was for GMT which I think is London time. I found two places to set our time zone. I changed the time zone to East Coast time. It stayed that way for a day.
Then when I checked tonight it had gone back to GMT again.
I have reset the time zone again to East Coast time. Lets see if it will stay.
Alex Beamer

Date: November 13, 2015 06:12AM

I was looking at the time stamp settings more. I found each of us can set our own time zone. So where ever we are in the world, we can have our home time.
When I log into the forum and click on forum list in the top bar, I see all the message threads. In the top bar is a button called my control center. Open the control center and go to forum settings. In settings you can choose your time zone and more.
Alex Beamer

Date: November 13, 2015 04:45PM

Alex, Thank you for the time zone heads up. Our Pacific time zone was almost at the top of the list.

Date: November 14, 2015 07:11PM

I have been working with the issue of page one of Ben's Vanderbilt Cup Racer thread not opening. I was having mixed results, sometimes it would open and sometimes it would not. I finally figured out that if I was logged in, it would open and if I was logged out, it would not open.
So the unregistered folks, or folks who are registered but are logged out, who look at this information will not be able to see page one of Ben's Vanderbilt Cup Racer.
I will keep working on this. It bothers me it will not work correctly.
Alex Beamer

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: November 14, 2015 08:34PM

Alex
It’s been opening for me but the red marker that says its new will not go away.
Rolly

Date: November 14, 2015 10:46PM

I just clicked the red tags off,,just now
will watch for date stamp after posting
Ben

Date: November 14, 2015 10:48PM

Haha,,,No red tag on new post....yet
Ben

Date: November 17, 2015 02:31AM

I eventually was able to read the original Vanderbilt thread again, but it seems to be gone now, and the replacement doesn't have most of the original content - which had grown to 2 pages.

Date: November 19, 2015 06:38AM

Kelly
I just checked and I can see all of the Vanderbilt Racer thread, many messages on pages 1 and 2.
I found there was a difference in what I could see if I was logged in or not logged in. I saw all when logged in. Are you logged in?

I have started reconstructing the vanderbilt racer thread, I am copying and pasting each message into a new thread with a similar name. Because there are so many messages it is taking me a long time to do this. I found I have to do extra work to copy and reattach photos and you tube videos. They take even more time. I am about half way done with it. I had the new thread open, but someone posted a new message to it, that would have shown in the middle of the thread as I continued work. I copied the new message and put it at the end of the original thread. I then hid the new thread I am working on so people do not post onto it until it is complete.
Alex Beamer

Posted by: Caleb Ramsby (IP Logged)
Date: November 19, 2015 09:48PM

Hey Alex,

Thanks for all of your work here.

It is heartening to know that this site is being taken care of so carefully.

Date: November 20, 2015 02:15AM

Things do liook a little different when I log in - I had never noticed that before. Still can't find the original 2-page Vanderbilt thread at all, though - even with a full search of the entire archive.

Posted by: Arnold Walker (IP Logged)
Date: December 11, 2015 02:01PM

The ad maybe on your end...instead of the site.Do you see ads on your computer whether you are on the site or not.adware has gotten to be a worse threat than virus with key copiers and other tricks to "borrow" your bankaccount or something.
Part of what I don't like about windows10 is they have made a bad problem even worse on that kind of stuff.
Get a bunch of young and naive fools running the internet like I have...you see thoses ads and worse.Regular enough to have a full time job cleaning out the system.On the more secure systems I don't even run apple/windows...you might say I have an android server.Like on my 3D casting pattern printer.Working on casting connection fittings to allow me to connect tubes on Nuts Lamont boiler idea and
build a flat version of the same thing he published under the car.With you changing out individual short tubes like a Bryan boiler water tubes did.Instead of the whole coil at repair time.

Date: December 11, 2015 02:37PM

The time stamp appears to be four anna half hours advanced
I do know not if this important,,Ben,,9:37am 12/11/2015 Friday
east coast USA

Date: December 11, 2015 02:47PM

Ben, You have to set your own stanleysteamers.com clock on your user preferences tab. After many years of showing the wrong time on this forum, last month I finally set my clock. Wrong time on the stanleysteamers.com time clock doesn't affect any of your website operations.

Posted by: Caleb Ramsby (IP Logged)
Date: December 12, 2015 12:33AM

Regarding ads, I use AdBlock, which integrates into Google Chrome and Firefox, both of which I use.

It has been extremely effective in abolishing the onslaught of invasive advertisements.

Caleb Ramsby

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.