SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
steam engine lubrication
Posted by: jim reed (IP Logged)
Date: September 01, 2002 02:52PM

<HTML>I am building a single acting bash valve uniflow engine based upon plans by R.J. Smith in the SACA Bullitin. What oil should I use for this engine and what steam temperature should an engine of this type run at? The engine has an aluminum piston, cast iron cylinder, needle bearing rod with ball bearing crank. I also have one with a bronze alloy plain bearing rod big end. Regards, Jim Reed, Ft. Pierce, FL</HTML>

Re: steam engine lubrication
Posted by: tom ward (IP Logged)
Date: September 02, 2002 09:49AM

<HTML>Jim R, Don' t know much about oil but I recall a rotating vane turbine that was teflon coated and used the steam that condensed on the surfaces as the lubricant. I think BMW is teflon coating its cylinder walls and bearing surfaces in order to reduce friction losses. A stirling site mentioned a teflon experiment using a type called Rulon as the sole lubricant. He intended to run the engine continuously until failure but stopped after over a month of non-stop operation. This was a very small engine with only a 100 watt light bulb as its load. He didn't say who supplied the Rulon and how it was applied. Perhaps teflon could eliminate the need for oil altogether in steamers. Perhaps your motor could lead the way to the steamers' dream engine.</HTML>

Date: September 02, 2002 10:47AM

<HTML>Tom: Thanks for the info. That is the second time I've heard Rulon used. Geoff Wolfe told me uses it in his steam powered r/c airplane(flysteam.co.uk)</HTML>

Posted by: Terry Williams (IP Logged)
Date: September 02, 2002 11:38AM

<HTML>You could use Smithium, as R. J. Smith did. This is a soluble oil mixed with the feed water. He reportedly used a maximum of 750 degrees F. steam tepmerature.</HTML>

Date: September 02, 2002 07:04PM

<HTML>Terry: Thanks for the info. Regards, Jim Reed</HTML>

Posted by: William L. Petitjean, P.E. (IP Logged)
Date: September 03, 2002 03:38AM

<HTML>Hi Jim:

C. Lee Cook of Louisville, KY has a lot of experience with nonlube, nonmetallic ring materials that can be used in steam engines. The real issue is geometry and strength so the rings can cross the exhaust ports without tearing themselves up. Also you need poppet valves with self lubing stems. My old files show their phone no. as 502-587-6783. I have worked with them before and they were always attentive to my needs.

Teflon and rulon are nice, but the nonlube ring business has gone way beyond these materials. You can do much better I am sure because gas compressors and pumps have pushed the development of some pretty amazing materials.

Are you going to use a condenser? If not, a simple compounded cylinder oil around a 190 SUS @ 210 deg. F. is probably about right. If you are using a condenser then an uncompounded oil of about the same viscosity and fairly high superheat around 525 - 600 deg. F will work nicely in the engine and will separate out from the condensate satisfactorily. I can blend up these oils to order if you decide to go the traditional route and build a metallic engine that needs internal cylinder lubricants.

Bill Petitjean</HTML>

Date: September 03, 2002 02:54PM

<HTML>Bill: Thanks a lot for your off. Will get in contact when I'm getting ready to fire up. Regards, Jim Reed</HTML>

Posted by: Damijan Ruzic (IP Logged)
Date: August 11, 2004 03:33PM

<HTML>Good day gentlemen,

I wish to ask you some important qvestion. Do you have any experience with water - antifreeze admixture, wuth, say - 20 degrees C freezing point as working medium for steam engines? And, lubrication conected to this point as well? I am currently working on new kind of steam rotary engine and I would like to have it operative in cold conditions.
Any suggestions are most wellcome.
Damijan</HTML>

Posted by: James Perry (IP Logged)
Date: November 09, 2004 01:26AM

<HTML>I am looking for a set of plans for a Stanley Steamer engine 20 hp and either a white or doble steam engine.
Can any one tell me the web address to order these plans.
Thanks James. jsmachining@qwest.net</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.