SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Neustadt Perry
Posted by: Merv Kroll (IP Logged)
Date: September 02, 2002 01:05AM

<HTML>Does any one have, or know of, a Neustadt Perry steam car? I believe they built a steam car between around 1902-1904, which they also sold in kit form. I have a 'one off' steam car built around 1900 which has Neustadt Perry on the spring hangers. Info on an actual Neustadt Perry would help me determine if it was built from such a kit and rebadged with the makers name. Thanks</HTML>

Re: Neustadt Perry
Posted by: Pat Farrell (IP Logged)
Date: September 02, 2002 01:59AM

<HTML>The "Standard Catalog of American Cars" says that before turning to gasoline cars, they built steam cars in St. Louis, Missouri from 1901 through 1903 . Neustadt-Perry would sell any of their parts in kit form from screws in their body to leather trimmings, or the gasoline to propel the motor. Some of the kits came with names like: Bluff Climber, Genevieve, Traveler, Berkeley, and Princess, amoung others. Neustadt used his own initials, J.H.N., on one kit.</HTML>

Posted by: Merv Kroll (IP Logged)
Date: September 02, 2002 05:04AM

<HTML>Thanks for the reply and info, Pat. Does the "Standard catalog of American Cars" give an illustration of the end product? Or are you aware of any of these cars in existence? I would dearly love to see a photo of one, or get some technical info which may either prove or disprove that I have a Neustadt Perry kit car.</HTML>

Posted by: Pat Farrell (IP Logged)
Date: September 02, 2002 01:02PM

<HTML>They only have one photo of the steamer which they incorrectly labled as a gas car. It looks exactly like a 1903 Stanley model C runabout with a panel seat and a tip out passenger front seat. It also has wood spoked wheels instead of the wire wheels like the Stanley did have.</HTML>

Posted by: Rich Landry (IP Logged)
Date: September 21, 2002 10:46PM

<HTML>I have a copy of a copy of a Neustad-Perry catalog of 1902 or thereabouts.
Title on the cover states;
NEUSTAD-PERRY COMPANY
Manufacturersfor the Trade of
AUTOMOBILE PARTS
826-828-830 S. 18th St.
St.Louis, USA

The catalog covers numerous frame styles for sale. Many bodies, and complete vehicles where they state "ready for power". They sold differentials, gasoline engines, steam engines along with all steam parts and boilers.Steering gears, transmissions and lighting.
Basically catalog shows the you could order parts as you could afford them. Looks like supply source for all people building the first horseless carrige in their area.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.