SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Gasoline vaporizer - wrong height?
Posted by: Kelly (IP Logged)
Date: June 10, 2016 03:44PM

I'm working on an EX that has been sitting for quite a while. It ran in the past 20 years or so.

The vaporizing tubes are the right length - they stick out the back just enough to get fittings on. But the downtubes in front appear to be too long. See attached photo. The nozzles aren't centered in the mixing tubes, especially the pilot. It looks like somebody bent all the downtubes in a little, so the nozzles could point upward and hit the mixing tubes better. On the pilot, it even looks like they pulled down the mouth of the mixing tube so the nozzle could hit it at all.

I'm guessing that these tubes started out on a deeper burner.

The car did fire this way, but I can hardly believe it did as well as it should. But how could this be corrected? If the main tubes were bent upward just after they exit the front of the burner, it would bring the downtubes back to vertical, and make the nozzles more centered. But then they'd be too far away from the mouth of the mixing tubes. And it doesn't look like the nozzle castings can be easily removed to shorten the downtubes.

Kelly

Attachments: EX_nozzles.jpg (116.2KB)  
Re: Gasoline vaporizer - wrong height?
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: June 10, 2016 04:43PM

When the main fuel jets are going full tilt, the vaporized fuel mixture pattern is supposed to be right on target in the bulls eye of the mixing tubes. If they are not, then burner will be prone to tube fires, and there will be more drool of condensed fuel draining off the walls of the mixing tubes. For best results, a perfectly aligned fuel pattern will give the best results. The distance of the main fuel jets from the end of the mixing tubes is another measurement. For speed and nothing else, the main jets would be located the diameter of the mixing tube away from the end of the mixing tubes. For reliability, less tube fires, the main jets would be located even with the end of the mixing tubes. I prefer a little of both worlds and I locate them a little further away than just even with the opening of the mixing tubes.

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: June 22, 2016 02:11PM

Kelly
They could be cut off and the tube shortened, or a ring could be rolled and made up to lower the burner.
Rolly

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: June 22, 2016 02:57PM

Kelly, With a little torch work, the vaporizer's jet down tubes shown in the photos could be heated and adjusted to be on the perfect target.

Posted by: Kelly (IP Logged)
Date: July 31, 2016 09:52PM

Finally fired the EX today, and drove about 10 miles. There must be a lot of leeway on that nozzle alignment, because you just can't run that car out of steam. I didn't have the main fire valve all the way open, and was pulling hills hard. Didn't even have to bother monitoring the steam gauge. What a fun car!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.