SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Seal on Stanley water and fuel filters
Posted by: Marksteamnz (IP Logged)
Date: September 22, 2016 11:27PM

Hi just wondering what the recommended gasket/seal is for these filters mounted on the fire wall. The fuel filter gasket on my car looks to be some sort of card type gasket material cut out very roughly.
Recomendations comments gratefully received
Regards
Mark

Re: Seal on Stanley water and fuel filters
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: September 24, 2016 02:26PM

One material you can use is Buna-n it will stand up to gas and oil.
You can get sheet stock from McMaster Carr on line
[www.mcmaster.com]
I can’t remember what the original was, it may have been a type of Phenolic, it was hard but that may have been caused from age. It needs to be fairly hard to with stand the fuel pressure. Cork won’t do.
I remember making a temporary one from Aluminum flashing.
Rolly

Date: September 26, 2016 10:05AM

Thanks for the advice. We used to be able to buy from McMaster Carr but they didn't want the hassle of shipping overseas so my account died. Will try and find a local source.
Would annealed copper work?
Regards
Mark

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: September 26, 2016 02:16PM

Yes I think so, it would be nice if it was the rolled over type. But I would try a flat one. Hydro the fuel system a little above what you run and see how much pressure it will hold.
Rolly

Posted by: Ron Schroeder (IP Logged)
Date: November 19, 2016 12:06AM

As a point of interest. On all the filters I have opened on my cars and a couple of spares, there is/was no gasket of any kind. The 2 halves are machined with quit flat faces perpendicular to the threads and seal when tightened with no leaks!
Would like to hear what others experience is. If they leaked I would definitely try some soft cooper to make a gasket.

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: November 19, 2016 05:16AM

On my brass fuel filters, there haven't been any gaskets. Just machined to perfection. On my water filters, there have been the paper gaskets as discussed above.

Date: November 19, 2016 11:14PM

Thanks everyone for the information. The face on the fuel filter body has a partial cut on it across the face. Lots to think about.
Cheersd

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.