SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Jacking up a 740 rear axle
Posted by: Marksteamnz (IP Logged)
Date: March 23, 2017 05:39AM

I have seen it often mentioned how the Rh (facing forward) rear axle had to be jacked up to run the pumps. Where to you place the jack?there are a lot of bits in the way ie tie bar etc and nothing looks very stable ie rounded small irregular shapes just asking for a fall off on uneven ground and wiht a wheel spinning.
Thanks Mark

Re: Jacking up a 740 rear axle
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: March 23, 2017 03:09PM

I made a jacking block that goes around the tie rod.
Rolly

[stanleysteamers.com]

Re: Jacking up a 740 rear axle
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: March 23, 2017 03:42PM

For road side pumping water on the Condensing cars, I have always jacked them up with the "lifting saddle" of the jack lifting up on the truss rod stud at the right backing plate. The stud is sturdy enough and it is located far enough out on the axle for the best jacking stability. If you have a concern of a scratch on the paint, then use a shop rag on the lifting saddle of your jack to reduce paint chafing. Usually the jack base will just clear the tire when the tire is off of the ground. I have put on well over 60 thousand steam car road miles and I have never had a steamer fall off of a jack yet, while pumping water or otherwise. To keep the car from rolling away, always safely block your tires while doing any jack work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.